Tuesday 22 April 2014

Maternity/Nursing Bra

One of the purchases I have been fretting over is a nursing bra.

I plan on breastfeeding so a comfortable, flexible nursing bra is essential.  Ensuring you wear a good fitting bra is always important but even more so during and after pregnancy when there are so many changes going on to your body.   I was originally fitted for a maternity bra a few months ago and my back had gone up 1 size and my cup by 2 sizes!! I still went for underwired, pretty bras but I knew I would need to lose the underwire when it came to choosing a nursing bra.

I didn't want to buy a nursing bra too soon as I realise my rack could stack up a few extra notches even between now and birth.  However, at week 34 I thought it was at least a good idea to start getting used to non underwire bras as it would probably be more beneficial and comfortable for me in the latter stages of my pregnancy.

I was offered to go along to Debenhams for a bra fitting.  Until 26th April, Debenhams are offering £5 off when you spend £30 or more on lingerie when you have a bra fit in store.  Lingerie is expensive as it is so I thought this was a good deal to take advantage of, especially when you know you can trust the fitting service.

I was fitted by Shaunice at the Glasgow Debenhams and I couldn't have asked for a friendlier more helpful member of staff.  She measured mostly by eye but she backed up her findings with a measuring tape for good measure (literally).  She had me try on a number of bras and styles to ensure the sizing was just right and I was making the right choice for me - after all, I have never had to wear a nursing bra before!

Of course, the sizing may alter slightly once the baby is here and Shaunice made allowance for that when helping me choose a bra.  The style I chose can be be moved up a few notches as my back size decreases after birth so this will hopefully mean longer life out of them.

Miriam Stoppard Nurture nursing/maternity bras

The main brand that Debenhams stock is Miriam Stoppard nursing bras - remember Miriam? She used to do an agony aunt stint on TV but I can't for the life of me remember what programme. Answers on a postcard ... !  I went for 2 double pack bras of the Miriam Stoppard Nurture range, one in cotton and the other a silkier, nylon material.  They are so comfortable, even if they aren't the fanciest bras I have ever worn. They have a clasp at the top of each cup for nursing which is easy to function one handed.  Although, they aren't super fancy, to be honest they do just look like pretty t-shirt bras.

My underwire bras are starting to dig a little and hurt my back so I am looking forward to wearing these now and getting used to the fit and feel of them before baby's arrival.

Until 26th April, Debenhams are offering £5 off when you spend £30 or more on lingerie when you have a bra fit in store.

1 comment:

  1. Really a great addition. I have read this marvelous post. Thanks for sharing information about maternity and nursing bras. I really like that. Thanks so lot for your convene.

    ReplyDelete