Monday 22 February 2010

Nicola Roberts Purple Eyes EOTD (picture heavy)

A few weeks ago I was asked to try and recreate the dramatic smokey purple eyes that Nicola Roberts sported on her documentary: The Truth about Tanning. Did you see it? It was an eye opener into how damaging sunbeds can be - a must see!

Anyway, back to Nicola's eyes ... here are a couple of very dodgy pics of the look. Sorry, I literally took a photo of the screen with my iphone. I'm sure there is a better way but ... ah, here you go ..
I decided to tone down the look ever so slightly as it is quite dramatic and dark on Nicola's eyes and could be overwhelming if you're not used to wearing your eye make up so dark. I'm actually so disappointed at how my camera has picked up the colour as it was much more intense and very similar to what we see in Nicola's pics in real life.
Enough already with the cringeworthy photos!!! Okay okay, so onto how I created the eye. I hate anything too complicated, it's just laborious, time consuming and requires far too much precision when using too many different colours so I stuck to 3 shades to create the look.
I used Bourjois Bleu Lavande and 2 shades from the Sleek Graphite palette. First up was the Bourjois Bleu Lavande, all over the lid. Then I used the dark purple from the Sleek palette (bottom row, last colour) in the outer v, socket and blended right along the crease, I also sweeped this underneath the eye. I then used the shade next to this (bottom row, second last shade) which is slightly darker with a hint of navy to add some depth, again this was blended along the crease, outer v and underneath the eye.

Finally, I used MAC Blacktrack to line the eyes and UD 24/7 liner in zero for the waterline. I added some of the white from the graphite palette to highlight the browbone and added lashings and lashings of mascara.

For the rest of the face, I used Revlon Colourstay in Buff, Bobbi Brown concealer in warm ivory, Nars Laguna to contour, MAC Springsheen blush, MAC Redhead MSF as highlight and Rimmel Foxy lipstick with MACs ample pink as a gloss. In hindsight I would have gone for a peachier look on the lips.

How does this look? Was I close?

x

15 comments:

  1. It's a beautiful look, and I think you matched it really well! Definitely going to try this one out...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this look, I'm loving purple shades atm :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like yours better than hers, hers seems a bit too heavy for the day time and yours is really good take on it for that purpose.

    I think BBC3 have a "thing" where all the presenters wear a dark eye and a very light lip, they've done it to quite a few presenters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow thanks girls, didn't realise I would get comments so quickly! :)

    @TheKiwiBex Thanks a lot, it's actually so quick to do, i always think the simpler the better xx

    @Chloe Thanks, yes im still loving purples from the Autumn, i think they will look great for Summer too xx

    @Rhamnousia Thank you, thats quite a compliment :) It is quite heavy on Nicola isn't it xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice, very nice ;) Have you had your hair done? Looks lovely.x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this look on you very much. That first full face pic without flash is beautiful. It looks soft and intense at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree I prefer your look over Nicola's. I wish I had have gotten the Graphite palette when I had the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this!! It looks fab, I want to try it. I don't have the Graphite palette but I'm sure I have other colours I could use x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absoutely gorgeous! Fabulous look. The purple looks lovely on you.
    Milly
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Lionlovingtiger thank you, no i haven't had my hair done, i actually hate it at the moment, just don't have a clue what to do with it - suggestions welcome :) xx

    @Glamoured Thank you very much - i hate the flash pic but it was so hard trying to capture the colour - must invest in a better camera he he xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Kerry1487 Thanks! Do you know i very nearly got rid of the Graphite palette, after i bought it i thought i'd never used it but turns out i dip into it quite a lot xx

    @Girl with the Golden Touch - thanks! Bourjois actually have a purple smokey eye trio out at the mo with the perfect colours for this look - i saw it tonight in Boots! It's great xx

    @Milly Thank you very much xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for doing this!! You're fab! x

    ReplyDelete