Sunday 24 April 2011

Bedroom Makeover

This weekend, I set about making my small bedroom space a little prettier and a little more organised.  Things had got a bit cluttered so I had a massive clearout, tore things apart and set about putting them back together again.

I didn't have any money to spend so had to use resources already available to me and in the words of Tim Gunn, 'Make it Work!'.

So here is what my room now looks like.  Using a palette of black, white, grey, turquoise and navy I tried to emulate a classic, simple, glamourous, relaxing space.  I went with lamps I already had ... the black shade and glass balls make for a 1940's vintage glamorous vibe.  I used turquoise cushions which were on my bed previously but used some gorgeous furry bo-concept cushions that previously lived on my couch to complement them.  A silver throw and grey woollen throw layered on top of one another added some depth to the bed.



The piece de la resistance (can someone tell me how to get accents on the macbook) is however my homemade African Juju hat!!  I couldn't afford the £200 to buy one or the flight to Africa to track one down so instead I recycled one of my favourite pieces of clothing.  Remember I wore this at new year?  Yup, its my navy feather cape tied around a nail in the wall.  Whadd'ya think?  Does it work?  It's not quite a juju hat but a little bit inspired?


Inspiration was taken from this image ...


For bedside tables I used my make up drawers.  The grey shade is a perfect combination with the bedding and other accessories and also saved space elsewhere.  They don't look as pretty as my mirrored tables that I had used previously but they are a great space saving and multi purpose solution.  By adding some black and white Chanel accessories and turquoise candle votives, it infused a little bit of decadence to otherwise plain drawers.




My perfume is normally stored away in a drawer to help keep it fresh but have since decided to display them on my chest of drawers as it is not in direct sunlight.  I also have my half naked framed pic of Kate Moss on display here which usually makes everyone gawp!  She looks amazing, I'm not sure why people find it so offensive.


Clothes, shoes and bags are safely hidden away behind my mirrored wardrobe and I have even made a good effort at making sure this is a little more in order this weekend.  Not quite ready to show you any space saving/organisation solutions yet but maybe I can save that for another post.



I love my new space I want to spend all my time in here.  Super comfy and on a such a tight budget I am really pleased with how it has turned out.

x

29 comments:

  1. I love it!! The colour is so nice and it looks like a posh, designer bedroom :-)
    The use of your make up drawers as bed side tables is amazing, you've inspired me to go and have a huge clearout of all my stuff x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely love it. would love to see more of your interior work around your home x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work lady... think I need to enlist your help for my place!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks so gorgeous! I would never be out of it if it was my bedroom! well done :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow you did a fab job! It looks very chic and glam, much like you :) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks lovely :).

    Sadie x

    http://www.brandnewbutterflywings.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. so beautiful and chic...adorable...

    ReplyDelete
  8. You bedroom looks beautiful! I love the use of grey and how you've displayed all your accessories! Can't wait to see more interior and storage posts! I've just finished doing my bedroom too! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it, it looks so chic and elegant. I'd love a bedroom like this!x

    ReplyDelete
  10. just gorgeous girlie, love the mossy print too - have a black and white naked photo of her as my screen saver and always makes folks double look when I'm working on the train ;)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely :) So satisfying to do to :) x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love what you've done with the room, it looks gorgeous and elegant. I think the feather cape definitely works as a statement piece - a lot more interesting than a photo or a painting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks great, the different colours and the accessories work really well together.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it, looks very modern. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow you did a great job it looks amazing! You have a great flair for interiors especially as you didn't spend any money on this!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it! It looks so clean and modern. Great idea about using the cape as a wall decoration too x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your room looks lovely - so tidy and really pretty. You've done a brilliant job. xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stunning innit! I still live at home in the same bedroom I've had my entire life! Cue mad troll dolls scattered everywhere, a dark purple ceiling and green walls, a dice-skater chain draped over drawers... YEAH. Must. Move. Out.

    Anyhoo, my fav is the feather wall-piece thing, so cool! And the lampshades xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love it!
    Gorgeous colours, tres chic! I also have mac and have no idea how to do accents, it took me months to figure out the # key! haha
    Still totally confused as to how I followed you on Twitter but didn't follow your blog. The mind boggles. All is well though lol!

    Linsay x

    ReplyDelete
  20. absolutely beautiful!

    Love the simplistic yet bold colour going through - this will be the inspiration for my room!

    Madam Butterfly x

    ReplyDelete
  21. so so so so so so so SO nice. very impressed with your resourcefulness :) x

    ReplyDelete
  22. wow! you did a great job at making it look sophisticated and very stylish AND on a budget too! Very impressive! I love the colours!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, amazing comments everyone, so glad you all like the room. I am chuffed to bits you all like it :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just came on this for a quick peep lying in my bed, your so tidy and organised, great job k want to come and do mine? Haha! Great birthday with you & Garrath xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. That's from me, Stacie couldn't write it any other way xxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. How did I miss this- I am moving in- yup,sorry. This is gorgeous, I am so impressed, looks like it cost you a fortune- the cape wrapping was inspired Bxx

    ReplyDelete