Sunday 1 May 2011

My Big Fat Royal Birthday!

On Friday, while all eyes were on Kate and Wills, I was feeling a little left out as it was a big birthday for me and my limelight had been well and truly stolen ... hmmph! ;p

I started my birthday weekend at a delightful hotel and spa in the Lake District.  This was my first visit to the Lakes and it was just lovely, I definitely want to go back and explore more of it.  We stayed at the Swan Hotel and Spa, an utterly charming and gorgeous hotel with wonderful decor where shabby chic meets modern country chic.  Stags heads and horns adorned the walls as well as colourful upholstery and floral wallpapers.  It was just gorgeous.





our very cute and country room 

The hotel was covered in patriotic bunting in celebration of the Royal Wedding and they even had a special showing of it and served up afternoon tea with cake and scones.  So very British and quaint.

After a morning of drooling over the Royal Wedding .... 'that' dress was just amazing, it was the ultimate in fairytale nuptials and even had me feeling a little emotional.  All this from someone who wasn't that bothered about watching other than to check out the dress and who designed it.  Long Live McQueen!  Sarah Burton did a wonderful job.

I spent the rest of the day mountain biking which was a first for me and was as much fun as it was physically challenging for a novice like me.  It has got me pondering the purchase of my own bike as it's such a great way to keep fit.
chilling out with my first vodka of many ;) 
Hello Kitty cake... for the mature 30 year old ;) 

Later that evening it was time to chill and I was treated to plentiful champagne and cake.   Before I knew it my couple of days retreat in the Lakes was over and it was back to the big smoke for a surprise bash where friends and family had kept schtum for weeks giving me no clues as to what they had planned.
Needless to say I am tired and slightly hungover today so thought I would let you in on some of the photos from my birthday weekend and let you see what I wore to my surprise bash.


I wore a gorgeous navy strapless jumpsuit from Topshop which I bought many months ago, loving it for it's slightly 70's studio 54 vibe.  I teamed with minimal gold and brown jewellery and brown moc croc heels from Aldo (barely seen in photo below).   I finally got the chance to wear my vintage fur cape which I adore and have been dying to wear since I bought it on eBay absolutely yonks ago!  It has a gaga-esque/Dynasty look about it.

 I went for a bronzey/navy make up look, similar to what I wore at New Year.  This time I chose to wear Ardell Demi Wispies false lashes and I absoluely loved them.  They were soft enough to give a fluttery finish but had the right balance between fake and natural.  I don't want to look like I am not wearing false lashes but I also don't want them taking over my eyes like tarantulas.  Ardell lashes are made from human hair which I think helps create that softer finish that sets them apart from other false lashes.
Emma a.k.a Jessica Rabbit and I 

Stacie (who is also my hair fairy!)

Mr Party Planner and his Mrs

I now can't quite believe the recent influx of bank holidays are over and normal working life will resume as off Tuesday :( I am not sure how I will get back into a routine or how I will get over the high of royal weddings, royal birthdays and royal lazing about.

How have you spent the bank holiday weekend?  Are you ready to return to the rat race?! 

x


15 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday honey! Looks like you had an amazing time. You look absolutely stunning, that fringe really suits you. I am also dreading going back to work and getting back into the routine... *sigh*.

    Love lots,

    Natalya xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had an amazing birthday :-) You look lovely on your pics, your hair and make up are perfect!! The hotel looks really cute too and im loving the cake!! x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look wonderful! Happy Birthday!
    And it looks like you like JD with coke ;)

    I'm a suck up for Hello Kitty, so now I want the same cake (I have 24th BDay at the end of May)!

    X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! Love the dress :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Belated Birthday Greetings You look As Though You Had So Much Fun and I love the jumpsuit and the cake :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you had a wonderful birthday :) I love that cake and your outfit is gorgeous!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. you look beautiful, your hair is amazing :) glad you had a good birthday weekend!xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. ah what lovely comments, thank you everyone ... glad i am not only one dreading work again!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday! I love what you wore, very glam!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You looked stunning! very sexy! :) Looks like you had a fab time x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday!!!! Your cake looks super yummy! XXX

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday! Sounds like the perfect weekend. Totally love your Birthday outfit. You look absolutely stunning :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy belated birthday! You looked gorgeous! Loving the stright fringe on you! The colour of your hair is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday! Love the jumpsuit/outfit/look! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. SaskiaFairy you are looking hot, hot, hot! ;) x

    ReplyDelete