Tuesday 31 May 2011

Estee Lauder Orange Crush

When it comes to the latest of the Estee Lauder Pure Colour collection it was Pure Love at first sight!

I guess orange isn't everyones idea of a wearable colour especially in eyeshadow form, no matter how refreshing a shade it may be for summer.   I always felt the same ... and as much as I adore an orange lip or a peach cheek, the idea of wearing it on my eyes just seemed obscene.

That's until this week when to my surprise and excitement these 3 new limited edition shades dropped through my post box.  Created by Tom Pecheux for the Derek Lam's Spring 2011 runway show, inspired by 1960's California, Lauder have taken this bold look from the runway to real life with these 3 beautiful products.
Sugar Cube, Orange Crush and Orange Crush Gloss

Pure Colour Eyeshadow in Orange Crush (RRP £16) is an utterly stunning shade of bold, bright orange.  The pigmentation is fantastic, a lighter hand will give a subtle wash of colour that can built upon to create a slightly bolder finish.  With a slightly heavy hand, a vibrant finish can be achieved which is equally as stunning if not a little more daring.  The second shadown in the collection is Sugar Cube a shimmering white that is a fantastic highlight and blends fabulously with Orange Crush.
As above, sugar cube, orange crush and orange crush gloss

The absolute beauty and most wearable of this small but perfectly formed collection is the Pure Colour Gloss in Orange Crush (RRP £16).  This is quite a fiery orange and has a high shine finish, it's lush on the lips and lasts for hours (although its shine does fade) which is a bonus!

The minute I got this I tried to recreate a similar look to the runway creation.  I used a bold line of orange crush on the lashline and blended with sugar cube, taking sugar cube up to under the lashline as a highlight.  I used MAC blacktrack to line the eyes but I think this colour would look equally as good if not fresher without they liner.

Hideous photobooth quality but you get the idea


On the cheeks I stuck with an old favourite NARS Laguna to bronze/contour slightly and for blush,  MAC springsheen which is lovely peach shade and complemented the oranges very well.  I lined my lips lightly with a nude liner before applying Orange Crush gloss.  I'm not sure if Estee Lauder would recommend wearing the bold eye and lips at the same time but it certainly worked for me. 


Even with my red hair which I initially thought would clash with these colours, I could really make this look work and it was something different to the same old neutrals.  It's definitely a gorgeous summer look that can easily be taken into autumn.  It's especially gorgeous for us blue eyed babies out there ... the contrast between the orange and blue just makes your eyes .... POP! (there, i said it!).  Even with pale skin, these shade rocked it... I can only imagine how much more amazing they would look had I been tanned!

Anyway, it seems this collection is so exclusive it is only available at Harvey Nics in London, Manchester, Leeds and Edinburgh.  I would recommend you try and pick these gorgeous shades up if you can though - they look stunning, apply wonderfully and make a statement as bold or as subtle as you like!

Anyone else brave enough for orange eyeshadow?

x

16 comments:

  1. I would never have picked these up in store but after seeing them on you I'm definitely taking a wee jaunt to Edinburgh - stunning colours! And I like the lip and eye worn together - I don't think it's too much at all.

    Much Love
    Roisin Elizabeth
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Wonderland Girl seriously i would have been the same, i actually have a red eyeshadow in my collection i have never touched but the orange worked so well that i am going to try and make the red work too! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that makeup on you. I keep wanting to try orange lips but am convinced they will clash with my dyed ginger hair but will think again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @zoey ah give it a go - sometimes it's just finding the right shade... this gloss is good as it is bold but being a gloss you can apply sheer too. Honestly i think the ginge and the orange can work if you pick the right shades :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. God damn woman, you are insanely beautiful! If I wore orange I'd look like I'd been in a fight or a 48 hour crying session! You totally rock this :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oi Sash, you're a bit of a looker you know! These shades look fab on you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore orange eyeshadow, so underrated, but can be a bit difficult to wear, and you have applied it beautifully,
    I find that it makes my blue eyes always look really piercing blue and the same is true for yourself.

    I really want that orange now!!!
    Gorgeous
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Laura Aw love you are too kind!! Orange can be hard to wear but i was so surprised i managed to work it x

    ReplyDelete
  9. @VexintheCity lol that made me chuckle, thanks love that is too kind of you to say! I am so loving these colours xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. @xmisslorix Thank you :) I didn't want to go to full on with it the first time and i love the effect of just a line of colour. It's honestly a brilliant shade .. you should hunt it down xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. The orange looks a bit scary in the pan but looks amazing on you, love everything!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The make up really suits you, I'm the same I would never have picked these colours up but they look so nice on you. You look beautiful xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. The colours work really well on you especially with your hair colour. A Lot more subtle than I thought they would be! You look gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Not gonna lie.. when I saw those swatches I wasn't sure on how it would look but wow, you look AMAZING! It really does make your blue eyes pop! I think I have some orange eyeshadow in an ELF palette, you've inspired me to try it! x

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Imogen - Thanks imogen, it definitely looks scary in pan :) xx

    @Stacey's Beauty Blog - Aw thank you ... it's made me want to me more adventurous with other colours too xx

    @Liparazzi - Ah thank you luv, i am well impressed with how i managed to carry the colours off xx

    @Charlene - Oh yeah try it, do let me know how you like it xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have an orage lipgloss from By Terry which would go perfectly with those eyeshadows. They look so pretty on you...but then look at you - they would wouldn't they?!

    ReplyDelete