Monday 23 May 2011

iTapela, Bath Street

A few Saturdays ago I was asked to review a rather lovely little restaurant on one of my favourite Glasgow streets - Bath Street.  Of course, myself and my other half obliged (with bells on!).

iTapela has only been a resident of a Bath Street basement for a short time and lay undiscovered by me until my visit.  I usually drink in the many bars on Bath Street so it was pretty convenient to find somewhere to eat which offered up 2 of my favourite cuisines, Italian and Spanish.  With relaxed interiors paying homage to it's Spanish and Italian influences with paint splattered walls and el Toro motifs placed sporadically around the restaurant, it doesn't try too hard and has a laid back atmosphere.

Having planned on an afternoon of Tapas, we were almost a little overwhelmed at the extensive menu on offer.  We expected a fusion of Spanish and Italian but instead our menu was mainly Italian pastas, pizzas with a small selection of Tapas and Paella with their use of Scottish produce reflected in their menu description.  At first we found this somewhat confusing, a mix of identities and a very busy menu, we wondered if the food would be up to scratch with so much on offer but as they say, the proof is in the pudding.  Pardon the pun!

So here is what you really want to see ... the delights that tantalised our taste buds and lived up to the reputation of The Partners collaboration who run iTapella.


My starter: Goats cheese crostini with rocket & sun blushed tomatoes
This was delicious, it practically melted in my mouth and the flavours were amazing.  Thumbs up for presentation too :) 


The Mr's Starter:  Pan Fried Oban landed Scallops with roasted chorizo & caramelised sweet potato.
This is the first time the other half had tried scallops and his judgement on the day was it would definitely not be his last.  Also self confessed chorizo addict, he devoured this dish.




True to our word we went for a main of Tapas.  iTapella recommend 3 dishes each ... for gutsy grubbers like the Mr and I, we are usually tempted to go for a little bit more but we contained the excitement and went with the restaurants recommendation of 3 each.

Typically we went for Patatas Bravas, Calamari with Lemon and Garlic Mayo, Braised Chorizo with tomatores, potatoes and parsley, Braised Meatballs in a Rich Tomato Sauce, Chargrilled King Prawns with Garlic and Parsley Butter and for a change we threw into our Tapas selection, Pot Roast Ayrshire Lamb in rioja, tomatoes and olives.

Apart from the Calamari being a teeny bit too crispy, we were left stuffed and smiley faced.  The lamb was especially delicious and so fresh and tender.  Oh, and the meatballs .... I could have ordered 3 plates more.

You'd think after all that we wouldn't have room for dessert ...


Vanilla Cheesecake with Lemon Curd and Raspberry Sorbet for him ... 


Tiramisu for her :)

Aside the food, we were greeted by friendly staff who were attentive even when the restaurant became crowded and busy.  Nothing was too much trouble, especially when it came to the cocktail menu ... we were convinced not to leave without washing it all down with a l'il something from their vast cocktail list.  A whiskey manhattan was the Mr's chosen drink ...


By this point I couldn't fit in anymore and had to call it a day.  A truly satisfying afternoon with colourful and tantalising food, flavours and fun ... I will definitely visit again.  I am salivating just looking at the photos again!

I think this may have to become a regular feature on the blog, I never realised how fun it was to reminisce over such scrumptious delights.

You can find iTapella situated at 104 Bath Street downstairs in the basement.  Enjoy!

x

8 comments:

  1. mmm I love a whisky manhatten and I also am a chorizo addict, The scallops look gorgeous my mouth is slevering as we speak haha. TMI.

    I'd definately try this place, did it seem reasonably priced?

    Me and the Mr love our Tapas

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. @xmisslorix yup starters start at around £3.50, mains from £7 plus ... they do quite a few deals too i'm sure and the occasional groupon deal so look out for them xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make me so hungry! I just love Spanish and Mexican cuisine. There are too many Italian restaurants in London!

    I'm sick of vegetable lasagne! (I'm a vegetarian, so my options are usually limited...) X

    http://mademoiselle-la-la.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Mademoiselle Lala I LOVE mexican too. There are too many Italian restaurants in London, when i was staying in Victoria in February we could only find Italian ... by that point we were fed up and wanted something different :( xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks absolutely gorgeous and quite reasonable?? Is it nice inside? xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooh will have to give this a try! Love your blog, btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, its not even 9am yet and I want all of that...even the cocktail. OK, especially the cocktail! ;) Looks so lush. x

    ReplyDelete