Tuesday 17 May 2011

Wall Candy

Last week I posted my bedroom makeover and as well as freshening up my bedroom, I have been trying to give my walls a revamp.

I enjoy images of iconic beauty, architecture and advertising in particular retro/vintage photography.  As a cheap alternative to otherwise expensive wall art I usually frame posters and photos, creating something a tad different to typical Ikea prints of City landscapes.

In this instance I logged onto AllPosters.co.uk and browsed through their many galleries from Banksy to Warhol to Kandinsky.  I went with my favourite choice of iconic beautiful women.

Instead of going for the obvious images of Audrey Hepburn,  I went for a stunning print of Liz Taylor and a gorgeous print of Marilyn Monroe, one of which I had never seen before.  I also purchased a movie poster of Le Mepris poster featuring Brigitte Bardot that was featured in a previous inspiration post.
Elizabeth Taylor

Marilyn reading 
Brigitte's Le Mepris poster

I think the key to choosing a good poster is dependant on the feel of your home and whatever room it will hang in but also to choose something that is a little bit different.  Instead of the same Audrey Breakfast at Tiffany's print or Marilyn's seven year itch, choose something that is less 'typical' to the eye so that it becomes a talking point in your room.

Of course I would love to afford 'real' art in my home and it's certainly something to work towards but in the mean time I find this a cheap and effective way at dressing my walls.

What do you have hanging on your walls?

x

5 comments:

  1. From Paris we brought these 'obvious' Paris posters like 'Le Chat Noir', but I absolutely LOVE them!

    I really like Elizabeth Taylor one you got yourself - as you said - not very obvious and typical. X

    http://mademoiselle-la-la.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love 'Le Chat Noir'... i have it as a mousepad :)
    I no way meant that 'obvious' comment as an insult to anyone ... hope you didn't take it that way, in hindsight, i should have worded that a little better xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been considering framign some vintage posters for a while for my walls - you've finally convinced me it's a good idea!
    LOVE the Liz Taylor - I totally agree that whilst I love Audrey I want something that's not totally standard in my bedroom. Maybe Clara Bow and Liz Taylor for me.

    Much Love
    Roisin Elizabeth
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love 1970s 'big eyes' prints-have them all over the hall. I also love Tamara de Lempicka art-big sexy voluptuous art-deco era nudes and angular ladies! But I have the same scabby pic of Marilyn in my bedroom that I've had in every flat since 1992! She's holding a wine glass, looking serene! Love your choices!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great choices! I've been away too long...just catching up on my blog reading with a cuppa x

    ReplyDelete