Saturday 22 March 2014

My baby in 3D

After our babymoon, our next big milestone before baby's arrival was a 3D/4D scan.

We didn't know many people who had gone for this but after googling some 3D pics and given that this is our first baby and we are just mega excited, we thought we would book in for it.

We decided to use a local 3D scanning company based in Glasgow called Baby Scanning.  They are based in Ingram House on Ingram Street and to my surprise it was a relatively small set up, with just a small reception/waiting area and another little room where the scans take place.  Not at all the clinical set up I had imagined.  

They recommend you see them from 24 weeks onwards if you are looking to get a good look at baby as it's just the right size and stage of development.  We took advantage of a deal on their website which included 6 A4 3D pictures of our baby, a 4D DVD of our baby and at least half an hour scanning time.  In the end we got a little more than that.

I was asked to arrive with a full bladder, which is actually quite hard to do when you already constantly feel like you want to run pee every 15 minutes.  I knew as long as no one made me laugh, cry, cough, or generally pee myself, i'd be fine!  Anyway, once settled in the room, we were seen to by 2 lovely girls who ran the scanning session.

So on our first go on the scanning table - yes, I had more than one attempt at this - the baby was not in the correct position to see properly, although at this stage we did get a glimpse of baby, the cord covered most of baby's face.  Even at such short glance of seeing my baby, it was quite overwhelming.  At this point, I was asked to empty my bladder (praise be!) so they could try again.... but still the baby was being a little awkward and wasn't in an ideal position.  I was advised to go away, have some hot chocolate and cake before coming back a second time (you don't have to tell me twice when it comes to cake!).

On our second attempt, baby was in an even worse position!! They had me doing jumping jacks and shaking my hips about like Shakira but baby still wouldn't play ball.  At this point they offered me to either go for a walk and come back a third time or to make another appointment - I chose to go for a walk.

After a bit of shopping - i'm sure that excited baby, if he/she is anything like mum and dad - we returned for a third time and thankfully, baby was in a better position to see.  It was still not ideal as the cord did get in the way from time to time and if baby didn't have hands over his/her face, it was feet covering the face! Seriously, baby ... camera shy, much?

Baby Read

Baby Read


After 3 lengthy attempts, we were able to leave with our DVD and photos of our future baby.  All we have done since is analyse the pics to figure out who baby might look like but of course it really is still pretty hard to tell although I can totally see my husband's resemblance :)  The lovely girls at the baby scanning centre actually gave us a further discount because of all the hassle trying to see the baby, which was really lovely considering it wasn't their fault.

Baby Scanning have centres based in Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Fife and Dundee.


No comments:

Post a Comment