Thursday 20 March 2014

Pram-a-rama

One of the most overwhelming, dauntless tasks as a parent to be is choosing the right pram for you and your lifestyle.

I had a list of requirements for my pram and before I went shopping I had an idea in my head what I wanted already.

* I knew the famous Bugaboo was out for me, as an attractive a pram as it is, it's just too low for my bad back, so height was important.
* A cupholder was a must.  Sounds ridiculous but ever since I had to forego a cupholder in my car, it has been an ultimate pet hate for me.
* It had to have an option of front and rear facing.
* Had to be lightweight enough for me to humph in and out of my car boot.
* Suitable for summer walks and days out with my newborn

It became clear it was a travel system I was looking for, rather than just a pram or buggy, so the search began.

The best tip I got from other parents was to go and see, touch, feel and road test (within reason) as many prams as you can.  So off, husband and I went to the Pram Centre in Glasgow which stocks pretty much every pram brand you can imagine and then some so we could have a proper informative pram testing session.  The staff at the Pram Centre really know their stuff, so getting a demonstration of each pram before we tried for ourselves was essential and very helpful.  After our visit, we had narrowed it down to 3 prams/travel systems:

UPPA BABY VISTA
Why I liked the Uppa Baby Vista:
* Forward and Rear facing options
* Sturdy build I felt confident in
* Good manoeuvrability
* Good basket space underneath
* Nice high seat/bassinet height so no bad backs lifting baby in and out
* It's an attractive pram

Why I didn't like the Uppa Baby Vista:
* There was something about the material that I didn't like.  Personal preference but it reminded me of a school bag although I am sure it is super durable
* No cupholder!
* Felt a little heavy to push around
* Looked similar to other prams (stupid reason)

STOKKE XPLORY

Why I liked the Stokke Xplory:
* Height! I loved how close I would be to my baby if I were to choose this pram, it would also save my chiropractor visits! (this was the pram I had decided on in my head before I even started my search)
* I loved the quirky design while still remaining sleek
* Forward and rear facing seat
* Good size change bag attachment
* Adjustable handle bar

Why I didn't like the Stokke Xplory:
* No cupholder!! This came as an extra at a ridiculously expensive price
* It was pretty expensive, not just the initial outlay but every accessory you would want to go with the pram was so overpriced
* I didn't like the handle bar so much, felt difficult to manoeuvre in store
* Was lightweight but almost felt so light that it may blow over in a gale
* The dismantle procedure didn't seem as easy as others

ORBIT BABY G2
Why I liked the Orbit Baby G2:
* It has a cupholder - YAY!
* Forward, rear and side facing seat positions.  Basically this is one of the only prams where the seat rotates 360, especially good for if you are living the cafe/lunch lifestyle as a new mum :)
* Fabric was beautiful and all organic and eco friendly, as well as nice and gentle for baby
* Adjustable handle height
* Seat height was high enough for my needs
* Bassinet also comes with a rocker that can be used at home
* Transfer of toddler seat, car seat and bassinet is super easy
* One hand fold down
* Lightweight
* Compatible with maxi cosi car seat (although I think most prams may be nowadays)

Why I didn't like the Orbit Baby G2:
* It's not the most attractive pram although the design is very unusual/moon buggyish
* No undercarriage basket (although there is one now available but yet to come to the UK)
* Small changing bag attachment

So, can you guess which one I went for??

Well, judging by pro's against cons, you have probably guessed it was the Orbit Baby G2.  We managed to get a great deal from Peppermint Nursery which included a car seat and some extras.  I do occasionally sway on my decision and wish I had gone for the Stokke or Uppa Baby but ultimately, Orbit Baby was ticking the majority of my boxes, so we will soon find out if it lives up to expectation when baby arrives.  As a side note, the Orbit Baby G2  has now been superseded by an updated model, the G3.

Anyway, my tips to you when buying a pram/travel system?

* Road test even if it is only in store.  This means having a good push about with it - up and down stairs if possible.  Try folding down and back up again, lifting it for weight etc
* Check the prices of any added accessories you may need to purchase.  Buying a pram is expensive as it is and you really don't want to be shelling out a lot of money for beneficial extras further down the line
* Think about your lifestyle, do you have the luxury of a car or will you have to lift your pram on and off public transport?  Do you live in an urban or country setting? These factors make such a difference to choosing a pram.

In a few months time, hopefully I can update you on my Orbit Baby experience and let you know if I actually did make the right decision!

No comments:

Post a Comment