Tuesday 9 August 2011

Hairspiration: Dip Dye

My first insight into the dip dye phenomenon that is taking over the split ends of the famous and not so famous was in London when I spotted Bleach salon at Topshop Oxford Street.

The girls there had fabulous dip dye and ombre creations going on ... but at the time I was looking to get rid of my own ombre hair that had seriously dried out my ends.

I promised myself I wouldn't buy into this 'trend'.  For a start I hate trends as such, it makes me feel like a bit of a clone and when ombre became too popular I swiftly got rid.  Also, how do you dip dye as a professional?

I work in an office that is still stuck in the 1950's.  Unfortunately not in the glamorous sense of Mad Men but instead the ignorant, backward thinking sense.  Oh Miaow!  So, you see, neon pink hair will not go down well.

Anyway, I'm rambling ... I will let these pics do the talking ...




I LOVE this girl! How cute/cool does she look? 




I adore how the pink hair clashes with her gorgeous orange lippie! 




Apparantly this is Lauren Conrads hair... subtle but daring




I love Drew, she ain't afraid to experiment. The block black ends look wicked and
go perfectly with her Alexander McQueen dress




Nicki close your mouth love! The Queen of the Dip Dye! 
Cute or what?

In reality I can't commit to a visit to Bleach London to have my ends perfectly blended into shades of lilac, peach and violet so instead I am on a quest to create a temporary solution.

I want to enjoy dip dyed-esque hair that can easily be washed out in time for my Monday morning team meeting.

Therefore, I am going back to my youth (read: 8 year old me) and will be picking up some spray on colour this week to recreate a colourful ombre barnet.

I could do with some advice though ... can anyone recommend a good brand and/or colours to spray the ends of my auburn locks?

I'm thinking violets, turquoise and pink but can you think of a better colour combo?  Direct me to the best shops and brands too please!

I will keep you posted with photos of my experimental hair frolics!

x

9 comments:

  1. So tempting when you see the first two pictures!!! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved it when gaga had pink and lilac hair - alas my workplace is the same as yours, I once came in with blue nail varnish on...you'd think I'd turned up in a meat dress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you'll have an exciting weekend! Try Claire's Accessories. They used to seel great spray on colours and because they are kinda aimed at kids, they wash out well. But BEWARE - any dye that washes out well will also stain your clothes, bedsheets and anything else it touches. Check our wonderful Glasgow forecast before venturing outside... Also, if your hair is still quite dry/porous, go easy, as even washout dyes might stain it.

    Can't wait to see what you do! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooooh, I'm excited to see this... in fact if you need a hand with the spraying do holler... can't think what colours though as everyone's blonde up there... hmmm, I think it needs to be quite bright to show up, but you rock blues anyhoos, so probably along that kind of line. good luck girl!

    a x
    Girl in the City Glasgow

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omgosh I LOVE that first picture! I might have to dye the bottom of some of my extensions so I can rock the trend, but just for a while and when I want to. I love it!
    xx
    Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE a good bit of dip dye! I've been experimenting for a while now. Good idea of the spray, I might try that when I'm between colours. Can't wait to see what you do xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE that first photo. I'm self employed now so I guess I could do it but would I look ridiculous popping over to Starbucks with a ponytail and dipped ends?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've wanted turquoise dip dye for a couple of weeks in my extensions but wouldnt know where to start!

    If you get yours done im looking forward to seeing that :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmm, I saw one the other day that was from a famous hairdresser - I will research. Can't wait to see what you do!

    Caz x
    www.mystylisms.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete