Tuesday 2 November 2010

MAC Tartan Tale

Last night Ann from Girlinthecityglasgow and I hopped down to our local MAC for a preview seminar of their Christmas collection, Tartan Tale.On the surface this looks like a lovely collection with shades that are suited to all seasons and not just winter. There are eye & lip palettes, as well as lip and liner sets. This years brush sets are also better than the last few offerings from Christmas sets.

I guess I have an added interest in this collection as it is a nod to Scotland but is the collection really any good?

Exlusive to Tartan Tale is the plaid embossed eyeshadows but nothing else about the packaging points to Scottish inspiration other than product names and the make up bags which comes in a set. There are 2 blushes, a bright pink very similar to dollymix and another pale peach. These didn't stand out to me as being unique or special enough to merit a purchase. I also didn't give the nail polish a second look simply because I am not a fan of MAC polish.

Let me show you what I picked up.

First up is Glamora Castle eyeshadow. This is a lovely grey blue with a lovely sheen to it. It's quite an unusual shade, not quite grey or silver and not quite blue, just a lovely blend. I usually shy away from shades like this but I am loving blue for the eyes just now and I think this will create a muted, wearable blue eye for daytime.

I also picked up the Violet My Love liner bag set which comes with a fluidline in Macroviolet - a lovely plummy colour, a liner brush, Zoomlash Zoom mascara and Violet pigment. I chose this set ultimately for the fluidline and the fact I was determined to pick up one of the tartan bags. I adore the crest on the bag.
Some swatches below of the pigment, shadow and liner. Left to right; violet pigment; glamora castle shadow; macroviolet fluidline.I also didn't take much notice of the lippies but there is a very nice dark berry in there which I think would be lovely for winter and also a very blah nude which is just .... blah!

If there is anything I would go back for it is the pearlglide liners in a dark blue and emerald green (unsure of actual names). They are utterly gorgeous and smooth and creamy on application.

MAC are also selling tartan christmas cards this year with profit going to Mac Aids fund. They are £5 for a set of 5 cards, I recommend any make up loving girl picking them up for friends and family. As Mac say themselves, Tis Noble to Give :)

What do you have your eyes on from this collection? Any must have lust haves?

x

3 comments:

  1. Just not sure about this collection. Colours are look abit too dark for me.

    Lx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm giving this one a miss so it's interesting to hear you weren't necessarily going mad for it. I have and love Macroviolet. In fact it probably needs replacing now as it's getting a little dry. I might take a look at the brush set if they're better than previous years.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ModestyBrown ... ah if only i'd known, the macroviolet just isn't working for me - have put it on ebay :( the pearl glide liners are probably the best thing in the collection, the rest is very passable despite my purchases x

    ReplyDelete