Thursday 16 August 2012

Ardanaiseig Hotel

Mr Read and I often feel we don't explore our own country enough, usually pushing it aside to go on exotic or cultural jaunts abroad.   Sometimes we forget about the beauty that lies on our own doorstep.

Last month we decided to take a trip to Argyll to stay at the Ardanaiseig Hotel as part of the Mr's birthday treat.  We heard that the hotel was very remote, overlooking the vast and beautiful Loch Awe, however, we didn't realise quite the oasis of tranquility it would be.

I was instantly hit with how deeply romantic the location and hotel is, as you make your way along the long and winding road towards the hotel.  The grounds feel and look magical with old statues placed sporadically around the gardens and an old penny farthing parked in the porch.  The views of the Loch and Ben Cruachan in the distance are breathtaking with greenery and woods all around, and even a boathouse that stands by the Loch that can be rented separately.


We strolled down to the Loch (where you can hire a rowing boat) and around the vast and stunning grounds.  We found a walled garden which took me back to my childhood reminding me of Frances Hodgson Burnett's, The Secret Garden.  We then came across some discarded tennis courts, a small graveyard and an abandoned boat.  I felt like I was in a fairytale, stumbling across treasures at every turn, imagining in wonderment how it all came to be.



The highlight of the trip was dinner, naturally ... always thinking about food, me!  The Ardanaiseig have the honour of Scotland's Chef of the Year 2011, Gary Goldie as their head chef.  Dinner is a unique culinary experience, a seven-course taster menu with much of the produce locally sourced.  In fact, a special moment as we ate our dinner overlooking the Loch, was seeing a kitchen porter out on a rowing boat, fishing for the next feed.


Shamefully, I can't remember the exact menu but I can tell you it was absolutely delicious, one of the best meals i've had in a while.  All washed down with a bottle of red wine, it was bliss!

If you ever get the chance to visit this hotel, you won't be disappointed.

x

8 comments:

  1. This looks like a beautiful trip Kitty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a gorgeous place but the time Manny and I went up earlier this year, there was a power cut so we were in darkness for most of the time! It's really beautiful though - my friend's friend got married there recently and her pictures were lovely. Couldn't hope for a more stunning backdrop.

    Tx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stayed there for a couple of nights last year, gorgeous rooms - my bathrooom had a HUGE chandelier, beautiful views over the Loch and the food was to die for. Planning a revisit

    ReplyDelete
  4. These photos look beautiful!

    I've explored a fair bit of Scotland however I'm itching to give England a much bigger tour! My ratio of abroad places to British places is skewed towards foreign!

    Morag x
    moadore.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. May have to give this a go - have been looking at somewhere to go for a weekend break but within Scotland so it's not a weekend break where you really only get 1 proper day due to travelling time. My other option was the Carnbooth Hotel I attended a wedding there recently and it was lovely, but this looks more tranquil and secluded to really get away from it all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this is beautiful, you've definitely made me fall in love with the hotel so much more and the food looks amazing! I'm definitely going to be visiting in the next few months :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks gorgeous. Might need to investigate further ;-) x

    ReplyDelete