Friday 10 August 2012

The Money Pit

A lot of you will know I have recently moved to a new house which I guess my Mr and I class as a bit of a 'fixer-upper'.

We have been working hard and spending hard on it for a while and to be honest we are getting a little fed up and in desperate need of a holiday (NYC I mean you!!). So ... we have slowed down the progress so we can still enjoy the finer things in life.

One of the first rooms to be trashed and rebuilt was the bathroom.  It's not finished yet, we still need to paint a wall and replace some bath fittings that were delivered faulty :( However, it is getting there and I can start to see it take shape.

I thought I would show you some of my inspiration charted against how my bathroom looks currently.  This should give you an idea of what it should look like when it is finished.


Naked art whether it be sculptural or illustration, i love it!

A chandelier and a rolltop bath were always top of my list

Dark walls against warm rustic pieces look awesome

I wanted brick tiles, marble and vintage touches

In my head I had the idea of a 50's/60's era New York City style bathroom with brick tiles, monochrome colour scheme and a bit of marble thrown in for good measure.  You won't see in the photo but our shower cubicle is covered in brick marble tiles and a retro rain shower head.  The rooltop bath was debated over for weeks, we originally wanted a modern rolltop but this reproduction was too lush to resist.  I am a little obsessed with grey and black walls at the moment so I painted the bathroom a Valspar shade 'Caviar for the Tsars'.  I want to paint at least one wall in every room black for some reason while others desperately try to talk me out of it. Go figure. 

I'm also obsessed with fur blankets, rugs and taxidermy so as well as the Ikea sheepskin rug in the bathroom, I plan on adding a few extra creepy bits and pieces that will act as a talking point/incite disgust ;).  TK Maxx has been a bit of an interiors paradise for me lately.  I don't know what I would do without that shop.  I always find interesting and 'on trend' pieces for a fraction of the price.  I found these 2 framed naked lady illustrations there for £10.  whoop! 
rolltop, chandelier, black walls, sheepskin rug

TK Maxx bargain 'art'


Currently we are adding a pop of yellow/gold to the room to help warm it up and add a modern/vintage balance.  Hopefully we will have finished it soon and I can post some final photos.

Oh and a quick edit for you - I forgot to post a pic of the bathroom BEFORE I got my hands on it so here it is. It's small and blurry but it's all I have.
BEFORE the makeover

As ever, I would love your opinions of my humble abode :) 

14 comments:

  1. I feel your pain...we are currently doing up our house. We're getting there but it can be exhausting trying to get everything done and working as well. Love your inspiration pics! I am going for metallics and dark rustic wood in my bathroom, teamed with vintage style bathroom suite :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I said at the time (when you first posted the main pic on Twitter) I love it! I even showed my Mum. It's so glamourous. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh I love your bathroom, we are still saving for a place of our own so can't really do much with our rented place at the moment but luckilly we have quite a funky bathroom at the moment.
    I'd love a rolltop bath though but Ross is 6'5 so we will prob have to get an oval bath. His parents have just got a new bathroom and their bath is like a swimming pool its amazing xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to own my own home, but I've got a wait yet. I love the idea of a roll top bath with a chandelier, that's the perfect bathroom! x

    http://that-bird.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post. Do more home posts :-) having just bought our new home we have a fixer upper too. So far new electrics, 3 reception rooms stripped down damp course in. Plastered and now i get hthe plaster to dry and not have a clue how i want to decorate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! Totally agree about the money pit thing, we bought our house over a year ago and there's always something that needs spent...

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks great, so elegant. I feel your pain on the money pit front. We did our bathroom last year and it went over budget (surprise surprise!)
    But it'll be so worth it in the end.
    I had no idea TK Maxx had good interior stuff. Those drawings are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your bathroom is amazing! It just begs you to wallow in the (incredible) bath for hours - well done!!

    Also - don't change your blog name - it's how I found you in the first place (googling myself, obvs!)

    Saskia
    www.the-newgirls.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great inspo pics and ideas, especially like that chandlier! Love your roll top bath and the grey wall! Looking really good! I need to go tk maxx, always forget we have one! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for all the comments - glad you like it :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the bathroom looks fine before but it looks much more decadent and indulgent now - adore the colour of the walls!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a transformation, I love the bath and chandelier.

    ReplyDelete
  13. you mrs, are incredible! what a vision. it looks utterly amazing, as does the new blog header, love it!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Exactly what I would do... if I wasn't stuck in rental hell!

    ReplyDelete