Thursday 31 March 2011

Eyebrow Threading

It's true what they say, your eyebrows frame your face.  I love brows, thick ones, skinny ones, pencilled in or au naturale ...  as long as they are groomed well ... I am fascinated by all brow shapes and how you can alter your face based on how you choose to wear them.

Depending on how you shape your brows, it can radically change the shape or appearance of your face by softening your look or by creating an edgy angled brow for added oomph.  

I have always been quite lucky in the brow department as I have a fairly nice shape to start with and not much in the way of stray hairs although I would love them to be a bit darker so I didn't need to pencil them in every day.  This is not to say they don't look messy and need some TLC on a regular basis.

For the past 6 or 7 years I have been getting my eyebrows threaded.  Threading is traditionally an arabic/asian method of hair removal using thread rolled along the hairs of the brow.  It is neater and quicker than tweezing or waxing and in my opinion creates a much more defined brow than the more common methods of brow grooming.   It can be a tad painful the first time you try it or even if there is a lot of hair to remove but it is so fast and effective that it is definitely worth those 5 minutes of squirming.

Sourced from o5.com


In recent years, threading has become all the rage and you can now find threading areas in most major department stores.  I tend to stick to 2 of my favourite salons that are local to me.  They offer threading for £5 and one even offers it for £3 as long as you return each fortnight for a tidy up.  Bargainous!  It does make me feel slightly smug when I hear of others paying anything between £10 - £30 for their threading experience.

To give you an example here are photos of my brows before then after threading.  You will noticed the extra definition, shape and groomed appearance of my brows afterwards.  It literally feels like my face looks clean again.  I love getting them done!

Very tired eyes but you get the idea - unkempt brows

Very light pencil used on brows but a much more defined, sleeker shape

For any girls in the Glasgow area, I would recommend 2 salons, one on the South Side the other in the West End.

Farah's, 127 Albert Drive, Pollokshields, G41 2SU - 0141 423 9731.

Al Aisha, 441 Dumbarton Road, Partick, G11 6DD - 0141 533 5812.

No appointment is needed at either salon and both offer threading at £5 with Farah's offering a £3 fortnightly maintenance.  To be honest, I couldn't recommend any other treatments at either salon but threading is definitely their forte.

Does anyone else prefer threading?

x

10 comments:

  1. threading is a good send to me!!! i constantly had bad brow waxes in salons and just gave up on them all together until i discovered threading :) there is a before and after on my blog too. oh the magic of threading!!!


    darina xx


    allthatglitt3rs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get my eyebrows threaded and have done for over a year now! I go to Laiba Boutique on Leith Walk (edinburgh) and it costs £5. Its a horrible little place to be honest, kids running around screaming and the "salon" is in the back of a shop selling fabric but for a fiver you can't complain! I loveeee how threading looks, it just looks so much cleaner than waxing! And they do my face too as I have baby hair on my forehead and stuff... makes me sound like a bit of a labrador but I do! Hehe. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how in Farah's they hardly talk to you, it's literally in, get them done, and back out lol x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still tontry threading, I squirm an awful lot when just tweastering them! X

    ReplyDelete
  5. i've been thinking about trying threading but never get round to it. My clients eyebrows always look so good, i can tell who has them threaded and who doesn't! lovely eyebrows!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes yes yes! I'm so happy because threading is finally available in my town, so I don't have to drive 20minutes just to get threaded. I definitely agree with you that it gives the best shape ever. I get mine tinted as well so that I don't have to pencil them in every day. Lucky you only paying £3-5, that's such a bargain. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yass threading is the future - no word of a lie! My brows are bushy to the max, but quite a defined shape so I usually just need a bit of tidying up and threading gives the sharpest overall result I reckon.

    Ima defo try Farah on Pollokshaws rd :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Threading may be good but don't go for a pedicure, they cut my toe and when i complained (after having nail varnish remover out on it!) I was told I was a drama queen and the owner who called herself a 'big bad asian bitch' (!!??) was really agressive and threatening!
    i would not recommend going there

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kirsty Whittaker16 April 2013 at 14:27

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just brushed through with a brow brush. They are a lot thinner than I have ever had them, thin eyebrows

    ReplyDelete