Wednesday 2 November 2011

YSL Shocking Mascara

I love big lashes, black lashes, in your face lashes.  I pile on the mascara like there is no tomorrow to achieve the thickest, bushiest of lashes.  You see, I just feel naked without it.

I was a fan of YSL Faux Cils and Singulier mascara so when I was asked if I would like to try their new false lash effect offering, YSL Shocking, I obviously jumped all over that bad boy.



My first attempt at this mascara wasn't great.  It is very very wet which made it blob - I hated this, however, I loved how dark it is (I have shade 'Deep Black') it is almost like black ink.  The brush is long, slim and a little bit messy looking with it's multi direction bristles.  Instead of dismiss it immediately, past experience has taught me to stick with a product a while before making a final call, and i'm glad I did.

After a week or so, the formula starts to dry out a little.  Just enough to have more control of the wand and application and that's when you start to get the best results.  While it is still wet, blobbing occurs, a lot.  However, after it settles in its tube, I found I could layer it on my lashes, flaring them out where desired and really getting into the roots which was too hard to do beforehand without getting mascara all over my eyelids.
Excuse my early morning tired and red eyes!

Now the result isn't  going to be everyones cup of tea.  It is prone to clumping although this can easily be combed through but I quite like when it clumps especially with a smokey eye.  It really lengthens and thickens the lashes making them appear big and almost baby doll like.

I tend not to have to curl my lashes with YSL Shocking but if I do, it holds the curl well.  The best thing is I never feel the need to give my lashes the once over with the wand throughout the day or if I was freshening up my make up before leaving work for the day.  It looks exactly as it does in the morning as it does at night.


However, do I think it's worth it's 'Shocking' title and £22 price tag.  Yes and No.  Yes, as I love the mascara, it's great to work with (after those first few days), it gives a pigmented and voluminous finish and lasts the entire day and then some.  No, because it's not that different from the YSL faux cils formula however, if you like faux cils then i'm sure you would also love YSL Shocking.

Have you tried YSL Shocking? What's your verdict?

x

8 comments:

  1. Oooo, I do like that effect... when my short stumpy eyelashes cooperate! £22 is a lot, though... My student days would've just about made the concession but my post-student days are even worse off! Christmas needs to hurry up...

    I'm not entirely sure what you mean by 'blobbing', but I can make an educated guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so shocking!

    new trends in mi blog:D

    xoxo
    G

    ReplyDelete
  3. The original is good and this is no exception. YSL mascaras are my favourite hands down x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just literally bought this about 2 weeks ago + at first I detested it because it used to blob everywhere! Then it dried a little bit and now I love it...great for dramatic smokey eyes

    http://aesthetic-junkie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been using this, and I love it - i love big clumpy obvious lashes- which is what it gives! But...the eyeliner that matches...not good! Disappointing! My review will be up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Merle oh thats a shame about the eyeliner, you would expect it to be just as good x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, really disappointing, but watery and smudged badly! Not good. X

    ReplyDelete