Sunday 15 March 2009

Self Tanning - Sunbrushed

I am a self confessed self tan junkie! I have really pale skin and freckles and I cannot stand for people to see me without tan. Sometimes I am happy to go pale but only pale with an element of tan. It's not that I don't like my freckles but the contrast against my pale (blue tinged) skin is just too much!

I have tried nearly every tan under the sun and now I can pretty much tell by looking at or smelling a tan whether or not it will work for me.
St Tropez is awful on my skin, gives practically no colour but it is fine when teamed with a moisturiser.
L'oreal tans just streak all over my skin.
Clarins worked ok but sometimes too orangey.
Tan Truth good but dries out the skin.
Any form of tan towel = horrendous streaks and dryness.
So far, Fake Bake has always been my saviour. I use the lotion, the mousse and in the Summer I usually go for regular spray tans.
However, about 2-3 years ago, i discovered SUNBRUSHED.

Sunbrushed is an American product and as far as i know it is not sold here in the UK unless your particular area has a sales rep and therefore may distribute to salons in the area. I was lucky enough a friend of mine became a rep and ever since I have purchased this tan. I buy the tanning kit which comes with the tub of tan, gloves, micro-fibre cloth, exfoliator, tan extender and a hair bauble. The kit is supposed to supply enough for 6 full-body tans but i find i can get a lot more out of it.

Friday night, I applied this in time for the weekend so thought I would take some pics to give you an idea of what it all looks like and how it works. Basically the contents of the tub is what would appear to be dye. Its a dark brown liquid. There is a smell from it in the tub but it's like marzipan. The smell of tan can really put people off but this is the nicest smelling tan I have used.

The best thing to do is pour some of the liquid into a tupperware container, as big as you can find. I used a tiny one which is not practical at all! Then you dip your microfibre cloth into it (with gloves on, of course) and keep dipping in the dye and wringing it out until it is covered in dye but not sapping wet, just moist.
Looks disgusting doesn't it? Its really not that bad though!

Next step, is to start 'washing' it over your body. It will go on with a slight tint so you can see if you miss any areas. I usually start at my feet and work my way up. When it comes to my hands, i take one glove off and wash over that hand then put the glove back on and repeat with the other hand. My hands always look fine by doing this. You can leave the product on for 4-6 hours but I usually sleep in it.

Next day, you will have a streak free, smooth, sunkissed tan. It is impossible to streak it unless you miss huge chunks of your body. You can also achieve a darker tan by not wringing out the cloth as much but again never use it when it is sodden wet.

I did try and take before and after photos but the lighting in my flat is so bad the camera wasn't picking up the colour well so it would be pointless to show you. However, I did have a glowing bronzed tan in time for Saturday night!

I love this fake tan because it is super quick to use. I can do my whole body in 5 minutes flat. Another great thing is it dries instantly, so no hanging around the bathroom naked waiting to dry before you can dress again. I even take it on holiday and have been known to apply it and go out for dinner after!! It gives a lovely natural colour that can last up to a week or more. It probably looks pretty disgusting from the photos but it is so quick and easy and relatively mess free.

Has anyone else tried this self tan? What are your favourites?

7 comments:

  1. Never tried it but now I really want to.
    It's my birthday in a few days and I want to look fab!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MY BLOG ROCKS BUT YOUR BLOG ROCKS HARDER.I nominated you for the award on my blog, check it outxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. i so want to try this, do you use it on your face too?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the link to this post! I am going to go search for it on ebay! :) anything for that perfect tan right! :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. @jessicalh06 ... sorry i took so long to reply to your comment. Yes you can use this on your face, i find it works really well for face, better than normal fake tans which i guess you shouldn't really use for face xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds foolproof enough even for me! I have never yet met a fake tan I couldn't manage to streak lol...I also have a morbid fear of looking like the love-child of david dickinson and judith chalmers... hence I usually favour the plae and interesting look! This sounds great though xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete