Wednesday 10 June 2009

Wedding Style

As promised, this is the second in my little series of wedding posts focussing on wedding style. Hopefully this may give you ideas of how you can tie in colour schemes, decor and flowers. There are also some ideas for hair. I get a little embarrassed doing posts like this. I like putting ideas together for any outfits (although i usually do my own drawings) but I really do not prophess to be a great stylist or a know it all about weddings at all - I am simply giving you an idea of the thought process I went through for my own wedding and hopefully it could help some other Brides.

The most important decision you will probably make is choosing a dress. I would stress to you not to get too caught up in finding 'the one'. Not every Bride finds 'the one'. I didn't. I did, however, find a dress that I really loved, was comfortable and flattering to wear and suited my personality and the style of my day. If I were to get married next week I would chose a completely different dress. Usually your dress will determine your jewellery and accessories so don't try to choose these items before you have chosen the dress.

I would suggest choosing a theme. Themes conjur up different ideas for everyone. Some people may want a Disney Princess theme others may want simply a Romantic theme ... regardless, try and make sure you base everything around this. For example, I had a Romantic Vintage theme - I carried this through from my wedding stationery to my hair comb. You don't have to be too strict with it but you will find it will benefit the overall aesthetic of the day and it will really help you stay focussed when it comes to choosing the cake, decor and any other special touches to your day.

When it comes to your hair (I will do make up in a later post) .... I would opt for something a little bit different from what you normally wear. You don't want to look like a different person on your wedding day but you do want to look special. If i wore my hair as I do everyday, it would have taken away from the look of my dress. I normally wear my hair down and straight so I always knew I would either have an updo or a volumised curly style to add that something special.

Anyway instead of me rambling on, here are some moodboards from Polyvore that might help inspire you. It is safe to say I am a Polyvore novice. It's soooo time consuming and I can never find what I want. I haven't yet mastered uploading my own photos but I am sure you get the jist.

Vintage Chic
Vintage chic - This is ever so slightly similar to what I based my own wedding on. Everything is soft and light and very romantic. It is classic without being overly traditional.
Sophisticated Instinct
Sophisticated Instinct by saskiathesalsafairy featuring Christian Louboutin shoes



Inspiration has been taken from the zebra print here. The clean sharp black and white colour scheme is so sophisticated but has added depth when the apple green is added. Really you can add any colour to black and white. Adding pink usually gives a more modern and funky look, green for sophistication, yellow for a chic summer look or tiffany blue for some classic zing! Keeping the flowers light and simple gives a stunning affect.


Beach Chic
Beach Chic by

Inspiration for this was taken from the 'Beach' sign. Incorporating the blue with the sand and brown tones. The invitation with its blue polka pattern adds a litle fun and offers a more laidback approach to the affair. Beach brides should dress appropriately ... anything too heavy or bustled will usually be too warm, so the lighter and floatier the dress, the better.

Inspired by Fairytale romance, the huge dress and traditionally romantic red roses make this the perfect chic princess look. Flowing locks keep it young and fresh. An unusual cake and birdcages for decor keep the fairytale vibe going.




Lets not forget though, not every Bride wants a big white dress, 4-tiered wedding cake and a big Church wedding. When I started planning I was positive I wanted something very alternative ... in the end I veered toward the traditional. You can add your own stamp on your weddingstyle in many ways, it can be as daring as a different coloured dress or as subtle as a pair of leopard print shoes under your gown.

Whatever the case, when it comes to your wedding, always be true to yourself.

Xx


7 comments:

  1. Great post, I loved the different styles and Polyvore images you created to illustrate them. I think my own wedding will lean toward the first style you mentioned, both my dress and the venue are quite vintage and traditional. Thanks for sharing this, can't wait for the next part! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love love the sophistication Instinct, that's the one i can relate to the most, i want my wedding to be very classical & romantic were talking about 4-5 years from now haha :p

    great post <33
    all the styles were beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely, elegant ideas. I LOVE the gold ring in pic 01 (where is that from) never would have considered yellow gold for an engagement ring but its beautiful.

    I also love the dress and ring in picture 4! Damn! It actually makes me likes weddings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was so good polyvoring! I love vintage cheek, the dress is amazing! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful sets and wonderful tips! I'm getting so excited :) Thank you lovely x x x x :)

    ReplyDelete