Monday 3 October 2011

PIXIWOO Course August 2011

Most of you may know by now that back in August I took part in the 5 day intensive make up training with Samantha and Nicola Chapman.

I have long wanted to pursue a career in make up, it's something I have debated doing since my university days but had so many other time consuming interests that it always got pushed to the back.  However, over the years I have satiated the ambition with helping out friends, family and friends of friends with make up for events or simply the odd make up lesson here or there.   My blog also came as a breath of fresh air 3 years ago when I started it mainly as a make up blog but since then it has grown arms and legs.

My destiny is in my own hands and it's up to me to do something about it and my first steps on that mission was the Pixiwoo course.

It all started with a gruelling journey to Norwich, who'd have thought it was so hard to get to from Bonnie Scotland but I made it in the end.  I shouldn't forget to tell you what a beautiful and scenic place Norwich is ... it's absolutely lovely!

Meeting the Pixiwoo girls was a teeny bit of a starstruck moment, I was the first to arrive on day one and I'm not even sure I could find words to speak to them at first.  If you know me, you will know this is totally out of character.  I was struck instantly with how stunningly beautiful both Nic and Sam are in the flesh.  They don't need a scrap of make up - lucky devils!  Nic was also blooming in late pregnancy, giving us some R'n'B dance performances with her Harry bump, i've never seen such an agile preganant lady!

There were 9 girls on the course plus our gorgeous model Ashley and they were all a delight to learn with.  I feel I have made some great friends which is a delightful bonus you don't necessarily expect.

So back to the course, we started off the week learning about hygiene, natural make-up, contouring and a classic smokey eye before moving onto creative/drag make up, period make up and then a bit of freestyling toward the end of the course.   There wasn't a day that went by where we didn't leave the studio with a wild made up face as we experimented with products and looks on each other.

Examples of some of my coursework
The course definitely opened my eyes to areas I had previously ignored and helped me see where I needed extra coaching and practise.  It has definitely set me in good stead for starting as a freelance make-up artist and I now have a qualification to prove I know what I'm doing, something I wouldn't dare start a business without.

It was a fantastic week and the girls on the course as well as Sam and Nic really made it all the more enjoyable.  It was so sad to say goodbye to everyone but we are already in touch on a regular basis as we all pursue different routes in the world of make up artistry.


I have now set up as a freelance artist and I'm in the process of finalising my website and building my portfolio of work and already have a wedding and magazine shoot under my belt which I am over the moon about.  I am still pursuing other interests especially within the realms of social media but who knows maybe one day this could be a full time career, here's hoping! :)

x

7 comments:

  1. Its sounds like you had an amazing time! I would love to do a Pixiwoo course in the future xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on completing your course! Looking forward to your portfolio :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, I so want to do this course but saving for a deposit is first priority at the minute. I hope they continue the course for a while. I would be starstruck too. Congrats on doing it, your work is beautiful! Good Luck for the future xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks amazing. I would love to meet sam and nic, they are so lovely and SO talented. Good look on setting yourself up as a make up artist, so exciting! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not the soppy kind but I really treasure the memories of that week :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone for the comments and wishing me good luck, it means SO much! :) xx

    And Gaelle, yes I too treasure the memories, such a great week xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi ! Do you get any discount at cosmetic brands after completing the course ?

    ReplyDelete