Sunday 16 August 2009

Caviar Ink ...daahling!

On Friday I took a trip to Bobbi Brown with the purpose of picking up the infamous Long wear gel eyeliner. I have noticed that black can sometimes be a little severe on my eye so I set out to find me the perfect brown that gave a softer finish without losing the definition.

The MUA at Bobbi Brown couldn't have been more approachable and helpful which is a rare find at a make up counter these days! She pointed me in the direction of their new Nude collection, specifically the new shade of eyeliner - Caviar Ink.

Caviar Ink is a rich brown-black that adds warmth and definition to the eye. It is still very dark but softer than using black. The MUA (whose name i forgot to ask!!) demo'd a winged liner look with the caviar ink and i loved it.



If I can apply my flicks this perfectly everyday I will be very happy! :) I also enquired about the brush she used as she seemed to complete the look so effortlessly. It was the Bobbi Brown ultra fine eyeliner brush. I usually use a Mac or Nars very fine brush to apply my liner which does work well but is sometimes difficult to control and really needs a steady hand. With this brush it is so much easier. It is slightly stumpy and wider than you would imagine and the bristles are tapered at the top. I feel i have more control using it gives a better result. Obviously I had to have it ;)

So far, I think I may prefer this liner to Mac Fluidline which I have worn for years and have always loved. The consistency of the long wear gel liner seems much smoother and less gloopy than fluidline.

Although caviar ink is not a true brown and would look black to the untrained eye it is a lot less severe. Here it is photographed next to Mac fluidline in blacktrack, hopefully you will see the difference. (fluidline in blacktrack is on the left and caviar ink on the right)

Does anyone use this already? Do you prefer a softer option to black too?

x

12 comments:

  1. I bought a Violet Ink version of this the other day & I have to say I agree, they seem so much easier to apply & last alot longer! At first I wasn't sure but with UDPP they're amazing:)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. that photo is gorgeous! I'm looking for a perfect brown for an every day look. I like the sound of this one, but I think I'd need a lighter colour. What's the staying power like? xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep meaning to buy this liner as i hear nothing but good things about it x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been considering changing from black gel liner recently too, I really like the look of this - once the birthday spondoolies have come in I'll investigate further! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love BB gel liners and I didn't know they had this new colour! Must go check it out now! thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I looove the longwear gel liners, so much better than fluidlines which I find dry out really quickly. I can never get a smooth line with fluidlines either as they don't glide as easily as the oh so creamy BB ones :) I've got black ink, violet ink and ivy shimmer ink - there are swatches somewhere on my blog, under the bobbi brown label xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have both Expresso Ink and Granite Ink, and the brush. I do like the colour range because like you black can sometimes be too harsh. You look fab with your perfect flick! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome post. :) I used to used MAC fluidline but started to find that it didnt last all day and left horrible black smudges on my eyelid above where I had initially applied the eyeliner. Perhaps the bobbi brown version is better? More long wearing? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will have to try that when i go home in dec. I have also always had good experiences with bobbi brown mua's they always give me samples :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Nicola @WinterBlossom the staying power is great - it literally does not budge all day. I put a little on the back of my hand to test and i couldn't get it off with soap and water!
    I really am preferring it to fluidline, its just so much smoother and less cakey x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooooh, lovely! I'm going to have to pick this one up when I'm down in London next month. I adore the gel inks and it looks fab on you.

    ReplyDelete