Monday 17 August 2009

My Vintage Wardrobe

I buy a lot of vintage clothing and accessories, I love raiding through vintage stores and scrambling for the ultimate scarf, belt or bag. I know vintage isn't for everyone and even the whole process of searching through piles and rails of clothes can be tiresome but there really isn't anything quite like the feeling of finding an absolute gem of a garment!

With this in mind, I thought I would start doing a series of posts giving you a peek inside my wardrobe and some of the vintage items I own, whether they have been treasure hunted or passed down to me.

First of all, let me explain how vintage clothing is usually defined. It is basically clothing from another era other than the current. Many say it should be an item that would define that era or a piece of haute couture for example but this needn't be the case. People also perceive vintage to mean second hand, again, vintage can be brand new clothing, never worn before. Usually clothing from the 1920's or before is defined as antique, thereafter until the 80s/90s is defined as vintage and anything that is imitation is retro. I am pretty sure none of this is set in stone and many fashionista's just make it up as they go along :D

In keeping with holiday season and the fact I am off to Ibiza next week, my first vintage show and tell is one of my most prized possessions .... my vintage aviators! These actually belonged to my Dad once upon a time. Guaranteed he would have paid no more than a fiver for these babies and little did he realise they would be such a big hit so many years later!
And here they are in action at T in the P! I adore them ... my Dad definitely got his moneys worth with these heh heh!
There will be many more of these posts coming up so hope you like them, feedback much appreciated and please share your vintage finds too :)

x

7 comments:

  1. im going to love these posts!! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. @lipgloss yay! glad to hear that ... im looking forward to doing them xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love love fashion posts and have actually recently started following more fashion blogs!! Look forward to these posts x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these posts, those glasses look gorgeous!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fab idea, those sunnies are fab. I keep trying to 'borrow' my dads old Raybans but he's having none of it! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea! I will keep checking your updates on this!

    ReplyDelete