Saturday 19 September 2009

Saskia's Guide to Streak Free Tanning!!

I was asked to do a post on how I apply a my false tan while avoiding nasty streaks and patches, so I have put together a list of what works for me. I understand everyone applies their fake tan differently and it really is about experimenting and finding what works best for you but here are my top tips :)

  • I ALWAYS use a tanning lotion/mousee with colour guide - this means the lotion/mousse is usually brown in colour as opposed to white/clear
  • I exfoliate a day or 2 before I tan, NEVER on the same day. Whenever I have exfoliated on the day, I find it never sits well
  • I also never moisturise or shave my legs on the day of tanning as again it never sits well and tan can get clogged in pores. Instead I usually de-fuzz my legs the day before
  • I DO moisturise my knees, heels, elbows and any other areas prone to dryness beforehand as the tan will stick to these areas and create dark patches
  • When applying my tan I always wear gloves, this in itself helps give a smoother effect and avoids orange palms! If I am using a mousse tan I use a tanning mit (like the st tropez mit)
  • I usually tan in front of a full size mirror so I am getting to see where I apply from all angles, ensuring that no part of my body is missed
  • I try and take my time when tanning but with more practise the quicker you get
  • I tend to wait about 5 minutes before I dress after application to make sure everywhere is dry. I also usually tan at night before bed which makes the whole process easier to deal with
  • When showering my tan the next morning, I will wait until most of the excess colour has drained away before using any shower gel. Even then I will use minimal shower gel and stay in the shower for the least amount of time possible
  • Once it has showered off I usually don't moisturise until later that day or evening (I actually don't know why I do this)
  • Everyday thereafter I moisturise my full body
  • If there are any streaks I usually use exfoliating gloves to scrub and get rid of this and if need be I will re-apply a small amount of tan to that area, buffing down any excess with a mit
  • About once a week I will exfoliate my whole body and remove all traces of the false tan in time for starting over again!
Phew!! Yup, I know that seems pretty long winded but as I say, practise makes perfect and the whole process gets quicker and quicker. I honestly don't spend a lot of time applying fake tan, 10-15 minutes tops but I have been doing it for years. In the Summer, I usually apply tan 2-3 times a week to achieve a darker look but in the Winter I usually stick to once a week.

I hope these tips are useful to some of you but the key is finding your own method that works for you.

Does anyone else have any tips for a streak free tan?

x

9 comments:

  1. This was so helpful!! Don't think anyone has given such an in-depth, step by step guide before. Thanks girl! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anna aawww thanks for your comment, i'm so glad you found it helpful :D xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. These tips are great hun, I normally just rush it with no preparation and hope for the best. I will def be trying some of these out! Thanks so much. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Natalya oh thank you ... they sound like they take up a lot of time but once you do it, it becomes a whizz to do! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greay post!!

    Can I ask, I was looking at your pics from Sunday 13th Sept post and was loving your bronzed look!! What fake tan are you wearing there?!

    x x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops meant to say *Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Jen Thanks!! Ooh the tan I was wearing on that night out was my usual St Moriz but it had faded quite a bit so I put a little rimmel sunshimmer in light matte on my arms xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for doing this - loads of great tips in there - I hope to be golden too now lol xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. @mizzworthy Your welcome chica, hope it helps in some way! You'll be grand .. you can text me mid tan if you have any problems lol ;) xx

    ReplyDelete