Sunday 19 September 2010

When 2 become 1 ...

Despite the title, this is not a soppy post... it is in fact about concealer.

One of my all time favourite concealers is MAC's Select Cover Up. It gives amazing coverage, creating a flawless finish to your skin, it is so good I live in hope that one day MAC will bring out a foundation version of it. That's how good it is.

So back to the original point of this post. I am NW20 in this concealer so a few months back I went down to my local MAC for this one specific item. The SA toddled off to collect my product, I paid, I left ... I got home and discovered the SA had in fact sold me NW15. Oh the frustration!

I ended up just using it despite how light it was but of course this meant I couldn't return it. A few weeks later I went back again to purchase the correct shade. Again, I asked for the product in NW20, I paid, I left ... I got home and discoved the SA had solde me NW25!!! What the actual heck?!

Don't these girls listen? I swear MAC girls are the absolute worst in the customer service stakes, I never ever have a good MAC experience.

So what is a girl to do? Well ... I now custom blend my own concealer, of course. And it looks like the MAC girls may have done me a favour as not only can I mix these 2 concealers to create NW20, I can now lighten or darken it by adding a little less or a little more of each shade. Perfect for when I am wearing fake tan or looking a bit pasty.


In fact, this is working out so well for me I may continue to buy 2 different shades in future so that I can always blend ot the exact shade I require for my skintone. I even find that I'm using less product this way.

Funny thing is, I do this with foundation all the time, not sure why I had never thought about trying it with concealer.

So thanks to the MAC sales assistant for messing up my purchase twice, it has turned into quite a clever mistake!

x

7 comments:

  1. I hope I give good customer service =(
    Re select cover up foundation version......I've used it all over my face as a foundation, it's amazing, love it. Few girls on the counter do it too, it looks beautiful. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Peachykeen ... ah do you work at MAC? I hope I Haven't offended you, i'm sure you are great and it's just my luck with who i speak to.
    I have only had good customer service at the Edinburgh and London Selfridges MAC... Glasgow MAC are a pain in the butt! There are only 2 girls i liked to be served by but they are always busy when i'm in!
    I will definitely try it all over now you've recommended x

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh no I would be shattered if that would happen to me! I hate their customer service too. but its a good idea really :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The girls at MAC in Glasgow are really rude. There are a few who come across really snooty and there has been times where I have walked away and just ordered what I was wanting to buy online as they were just plain rude. I agree with you, there are a couple though that are helpful and nice. Btw, that is once of my fave concealers too! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glasgow MAC has terrible customer service. I remember going in and spending quite a bit only to leave the shop and realise the girl had sold me the wrong eyeliner (blue not black)...and having to trape back in to town to exchange it. No apology obviously...apparently I hadn't made myself clear. I remember one particular grim experience where I went in looking for a nude lipstick and the look I got from the girl was just of pure disgust..and she proceeded to try selling me this pink lipgloss.
    To be fair it hasn't been too bad the past few times I've been it, I'm not sure if that's down to it being quiet or just the staff gaining more experience.

    Claire
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can always return items to MAC...whether you used the product or not, they are going to throw it away. Due to the fact that once it leaves the store they have to assume you at least tried it and their stock has to remain sanitary. I got this from a MA at a MAC store. Hope this helps in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a good idea, I'll have to try :)

    ReplyDelete