Tuesday 21 December 2010

Top of the knots

At last!

My hair is long enough for the top knot.

It honestly feels like it has taken an age for my hair to get to a decent length to do anything with it. I had gone for a bobbed style about a year and a half ago (maybe more) which was nice at first but I assumed it would grow out in no time. I was wrong, at one point it even felt like my hair was getting shorter!! Frustration kicked in.

Through the summer, I managed to plait my hair which felt like a real accomplishment and meant I could do some cooler, interesting things with my hair.
I also managed to perfect candyfloss hair - basically backcombing all over and pinning up every which way.

It was a joyous day however, when I managed to lift my hair to the top of my head and pin in a loose bun.

Once the hairstyle of chavs, about a year or so ago it made a bit of a comeback in a more sophisticated guise. Both casual and chic, the top knot can be worn loose, messy, tight or slick. Even Nicole Ritchie opted for this style on her wedding day - which looked utterly stunning. That dress! :)


This is how I achieve the look.

  • Wash and Condition hair

  • Towel dry

  • Add mousse (Charles Worthington) to the roots and an anti frizz serum(John Frieda or Sammi) to the ends of my hair.

  • Blow dry and run through with straighteners if desired

  • Brush hair through and pull up to the top of your head and secure with a band. You are probably best not to be too neat with this regardless of how you want the end result to look

  • Twist the ends leftover into a bun/knot shape and secure with bobby pins

  • Hair spray to keep in place.

  • For a neat look, apply hairspray or extra bobby pins to any stray hairs, for a messy look, rough up the bun with your fingers or only loosely insert the bobby pins.

  • Voila!

I mostly wear my hair in a top knot in a more casual setting as it keeps my hair out of the way while still looking a l'il bit glam and doesn't detract from clothes or make up but I also wear it for nights out when it helps to calm down a glam outfit adding a quirky touch to it. It creates a more laid back vibe when dressed up for a night out.

What hair trends do you like at the moment?

x

5 comments:

  1. I'm a huge fan of the top knot - I wear it like that a lot. The messier the better for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I cant wait for my hair to be long enough for this, maybe this time next year?! Hope so! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is so helpful!
    i'm going to try it this way as every way i've tried so far just makes me look like i've got a poo on top of my head!!

    love your blog :)

    love laura x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also growing my hair for this very reason, I'm so glad that the top knot has been reclaimed from the chavs! Glad you've been able to get your hair into a top bun

    Amy x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, was just looking through your blog, I got a bob last March and was gutted when I saw girls and models with top knots and a full fringe, my favourite look! A 'doughnut' from Sally (I've seen them in Claire's Accessories and other chemists too (though not Boots or Superdrug, at least where I was!) is my lifeline now to get a nice BIG bun on the top of my head! Pull your ponytail through the doughnut and then arrange the rest of your hair around it. Like you say, it can be smooth and perfected or mussed up. Looks so chic, and I've had lots of compliments. They're about £4 or so, and incredible!

    ReplyDelete