Saturday 30 July 2011

Blythswood Square Spa

You might remember a few months ago I attended a blogger event hosted by Scottish Ballet at Glasgow's 5 Star Blythswood Hotel & Spa.

At the event Blythswood kindly gave us some complimentary passes to their Spa's Thermal Experience so a few weeks ago, I got round to booking a girly day at the spa with my 2 sisters in law, Esther and Katie.

First of all, when you enter Blythswood Hotel, it is impossible to escape how gorgeous it is.  It previously was home to the Royal Scottish Automobile Club which is reflected in it's contemporary decor while keeping many of the traditional and somewhat breathtaking aspects of the building.


We were directed down to the spa level which feels like entering another world in comparison to the glitz of the main hotel, plush yet zen like furnishings, dimmed mood lighting, relaxing scents and friendly informative staff greet you as you enter.  The staff couldn't be more helpful, directing us to the changing rooms where you have your own personal locker equipped with towels, flip flops, robe and a bottle of water for your convenience.  They have thought of everything!


As we wanted to make a day of it, we had also booked treatments but that wasn't before experiencing the exclusive Thermal Spa.

The Thermal Spa was a true chill out experience, with various rooms taking you from wet to dry, hot to cold, awakening the senses whilst refreshing the skin.  I loved the Saunarium - basically a sauna with a viewing window over the pool.  The crystal steam room, Laconium and Trepidarium where all favourites of mine as they smelled utterly gorgeous and had to be nearly snoozing on the tiled benches.


The hydro pool brought us a bit of fun with pink, green and blue froth bubbling up from behind and beneath us, while the vitality pool provided some cool down time.

We then moved on to our treatments.  Mummy to be Katie went for the special Ila mother-to-be package while Esther and myself went for the Anne Semonin Anti Stress Back Therapy.


Well, I tell you, I have never had my butt cheeks pumelled before so this was a first, I did mention I had some pain in my lower back so I guess it only made sense for the therapist to really go at it.  Odd at first, eventually I realised the benefit as I slowly felt the tension releasing.  As for Esther, this treatment went down as one of the best massages she has ever had, and she is a seasoned spa junkie so she is in a good place to judge.

Katie felt suitably chilled after her treatment and was pleased not to be driving so she could snooze all the way home given her state of utter relaxation after he mummy to be package.

And that's where it all ended, we left the spa quite late in the day with a cumulative decision to make the most of our pampered state and head home to bed.

It was the best sleep I have had in a long time!

I am already looking forward to my next visit to the spa but if you are in Glasgow/Edinburgh I definitely recommend a visit to Blythswood Spa.

x

No comments:

Post a Comment