Thursday 7 July 2011

Shoulder to Shoulder

I am a big fan of shoulder embellishment - always have been.  Hence my feathered cape, fur cape, plethora of crystal shouldered tees and love for shoulder pads... I love the arrogance, the glam and the confidence that comes with strong shoulders, harking back to the days of the 'power suit'.

Images like this simply encourage my love of the shoulder embellishment and take it to a new level in the form of an ornamental decoration or costume jewellery.  I believe this is called Epaulettes but if anyone would like to correct me feel free.

Natalie Portman looking fierce
I have seen a few celebrities sporting the look from Natalie Portman to Gaga but I was completely sold after seeing a truly exquisite pair at the Scottish Fashion Awards.

My jaw literally dropped in awe of the breathtaking adornment gracing the ever so chic shoulders of Swarovski Creative Director, Nathalie Colin at this years Awards.  Laden with swarovski crystal naturally, the beautiful work of art cupped Natalie's shoulders connecting with sparkling chains garnishing the decolletage.

You can just about see Nathalie's shoulder decoration pictured here at the Scottish Fashion Awards 2011.

So this really brings me onto - how can I find me some of this shoulder bling?  I have toyed with making my own but can't work out the best materials to use.  The wonders of Etsy has led me to stumble across some absolutely stunning epaullettes but at sky high prices.  Is it worth it?

Absolutely stunning and ever so Gaga, I love the juxtaposition of the spikes and crystal while an array of chains drape the body.  You can find this for sale on Esty here.


Another stunning pair found at the same Etsy store have a more military feel.

I love how these ornamental creations can be worn over clothing or on bare shoulders.  It beats a statement pair of earrings anyday.  They can so easily transform the simplest of outfits into something quite spectacular and certainly attention grabbing.

 I am pondering over whether they are really worth the cost or if I can find a cheaper supplier elsewhere.  I have got to get me a pair of these one way or another so the search will continue until I exhaust every avenue.

Has anyone else come across these delights and can recommend a retailer?  Even better - any DIY tips?

x

6 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! My heart skipped a beat! I would rock those in a split second! Good to see youre still achingly awesome! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw shoulder candy such as these on another bloggers blog last year and i have not seen any myself either.. so frustrating!

    I never thought about Etsy but i'll keep my eyes peeled :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am wowing at the sight of those ones! Natalie Portman looks simply amazing!
    XOXO
    Catanya

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like you i have an array of tees with shoulder embellishments. I love the spiked ones most xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely fabulous - but they could defo be DIY-able. No by me you understand, I am RUBBISH with that shiz, but I'd imagine it wouldn't be that hard? Are there no YT tutorials or websites? Hmm...

    Anyway. Yup, fierce xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi!
    Thanks for the feature! :))
    If anyone is interested You can contact me through etsy and I can help You with basic tips for making epaulets like these. All materials can be found on internet or Your local sewing, DIY and crystal shops, so it just needs start doing. Easy! You Just need some patience for beading and investment for crystals..
    Good luck!
    Binka

    ReplyDelete