Sunday 15 January 2012

Hairspiraton: Mermaid Hair

You may remember, although it was ages ago, I blogged about my fascination over dip dye hair.

At the time I was looking to find a good spray colour for the ends of my hair as there is no chance my work would let me through the door with anything less than 'normal' hair.  Lucky for me I was kindly sent a whole 7 cans worth of different colour sprays from Colour Extreme Hair Art.


I never got round to trying out dip dye even though I was dying to try out these colours.  That's until I read Claire's post here which then directed me to the talented Lou ClavĂ© blog who created the amazing looks.

As you can imagine, dip dye just wasn't enough anymore, I wanted a full head of turquoise, purple, pink - basically full on rainbow mermaid hair!  So out came the Colour Extreme Hair Art sprays which had lay unloved for far too long.

I had 7 colours to experiment with: white; black; purple; blue; green; orange and pink.

I started off slowly and gently with a recreation of dip dye using the blue spray.  The blue worked quite well on my auburn hair making a noticeable difference.



I then began to layer some colour and moved onto the purple spray.  The purple spray looked fantastic on my hair which surprised me as I wasn't sure if it would show up.  When layered with the blue it created a lighter pink shade which gave a great effect of graduated colour.


I then applied the pink spray to some naked hair but it didn't really show up.  It would have been lovely if it had as a really vibrant pink would have been wicked thrown into the mix.  I then tried some of the green which apparently has a UV glow to it but again this didn't show at all.

I decided to try some orange at the top and fringe of my hair, this did show up but for a redhead like me, orange isn't really a colour I want my hair to be! ;)  I then decided to try some white, mostly for the layering purposes.  If I applied white to naked hair, I hoped that blue or pink layered on top would create some pastel shades.  The white was very obvious when applied and rightly so, pastel shades appeared when I layered the more vibrant colours with it.

with flash


The only colour I didn't try was the black, only because I was going for a full on rainbow fusion of colour.  

Once the spray dries on your hair, you can touch it without any colour transfer so no need to worry about getting it on your skin and hopefully this translates the same with clothes, it certainly didn't cause any problems with what I was wearing although I would probably steer clear of white tops.

Because I used so many colours, layer over layer, my hair ended up quite hard to touch but I am sure had I applied a normal amount, i.e, enough to create the coloured look you desire rather than an experimental session, then this wouldn't be the case. 

However, I can guarantee this will dry your hair out so be sure to give your locks a nice treatment afterwards for a bit of TLC.  

It washes off easily, although I recommend shampoo-ing twice to be sure you are rid of all colour. 

I can't tell you how much I loved having coloured hair and will be using these sprays again for a night out.  This time I will stick to the white, blue and purple to create graduated colour and pastel shades all over my hair.  

You can buy Colour Extreme Hair Art Sprays from Boots for around £4.

What do you think of rainbow hair?  Do you dare?

x

6 comments:

  1. OMG I LOVE! LOVE LOVE LOVE! I don't know if I could pull this off but it's AMAZING!
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like great fun and stunning on you. Pretty sure I couldn't pull it off though xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out amazing, I never thought it would show up on anything other than blonde hair. Your hair looks awesome! I'll need to try some now xo

    http://crosswiredreamers.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing effects with spray on colour! I remember doing this about 15 years ago and it was a disaster. Obvioulsy brands have come a long way since then. You look awesome and I'll definitely be trying it out! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This turned out so well!! I've got some of this stuff but was worried about using it on my (artificially) blonde hair - dying to try mermaid hair now so may risk it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I'm so looking forward to trying this x

    ReplyDelete