Monday 23 January 2012

Interiors Inspiration: Handira

While I was in Morocco, I scoured the souks for potential interior inspiration.  I love to fill my home with stories which usually means subtle pieces and sometimes statement pieces come home with me from my travels to fill my abode with pretty things.

In Marrakech I stumbled across and cheeky chap selling some of the most wonderful rugs I had ever seen.  Loomed from sheeps wool and covered in sequin, one of them caught my eye and after a half hour of haggling, I got my price and bagged my rug :)

It was only after returning home that I learned more about my purchase.  It turns out my new rug is traditionally a Moroccan Wedding Blanket or Handira.   Apparently, Brides and their relatives painstakingly create these blankets in time for the big day where the Bride wears it on her journey to her groom.  It is said to have talismanic power and protects its wearer from evil.

Nowadays, they have become a bit of a showpiece in peoples homes as rugs, beadspreads, wall hangings and more.

I plan on using mine on my bed.  Here is my inspiration ...



This is exactly like mine



Those of you with an eagle eye might have spotted a Handira in that ghastly Sex and the City 2 movie.  After being such a fan of the show, I cannot tell you how much I hated this film!! 



I think they are beautiful works of craft and I can't wait to use it in my new home.  I think it will make a real statement in my room should I decide to use it on my bed.

What statement pieces do you love in your home?

x

3 comments:

  1. i really like those!:)

    http://munchmecat.blogspot.com/
    http://coline-rialan.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! I hope to see lots of interior design posts! Congrats again on the house! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, sounds like you have a really gorgeous rug! I love the story/idea behind it of it protecting you from evil – worth a try! (And yup on sex and the city 2...)

    ReplyDelete