Thursday 5 January 2012

My hair ...

My most frequently asked question on my blog and in 'real life' is 'What colour do you dye your hair?'

In fear of repeating myself over and over again, I am going to fill you all in unanimously.

I get my hair professionally coloured using L'Oreal Richesse in Saffron Mahogany 6.5.  It's a deep auburn shade and I find that after a few washes it's the closest that comes to my natural colour.  When I say natural colour, I mean my purest state of hair that existed from the ages of 4 to 20 before I started dying it and stripped it of any goodness and rich colour.  It helps to start with that I am a natural redhead so it really enhances those tones, if you are lighter or darker haired, this shade will appear a lot different, I've seen it on some brunettes as very plummy.

Now for the bad news.  This is a discontinued colour and up until now I have been buying surplus tubes of it on eBay.  However, my dear hair fairy Stacie (who is the best in Glasgow) tells me that all of the products in her salon are changing so as of the not too distant future I WILL have to switch to another shade.  Of course she will try and match to this colour as best possible but I have grown a bit of a sentimental attachment to this one :(


I try and change up my shampoo every couple of months but the products that consistently re-appear in my hair care regime is Kerastase.  I use their Nutritive range (in the orange bottles), I find it works well at moisturising my often dry hair and gives a gorgeous shine.  When I am stuck in a rut with my shampoo and conditioner, I always know I can rely on Kerastase Nutritive.  I use Bain Satin 2 (shampoo) with Lait Vital (conditioner).  Every once in a while I also use a treatement from the same range, Masquintense.   Kerastase can be a little pricey but I think they are worth it.


Whether I am styling my hair up and down, I like to add a bit of volume and I usually do this using mousse.  Hair mousse used to be the devil in my eyes and I would avoid it at all cost but now I find it gives an extra boost of volume and keeps my hair in shape.  I am currently using Charles Worthington Volume Boosting Mousse which does the job well but sometimes makes my hair feel a bit heavy so I am still on the search for a fabulous volumising mousse.


I have avoided using straighteners on my hair for a while to see if it makes a positive improvement on my hair but to be honest I have noticed no difference at all other than frizz!  To avoid frizz I now use Macadamia Oil.  It smells lovely and smoothed over your hair it leaves it silky and glossy and never gives you that greasy appearance that most serums do if you use too much.   Even when I am using heat tools I will still use the oil before hand to help protect my locks from the heat.


Once I have dried and styled my hair, I usually like to give it a final boost of volume and have found a brilliant product.  For longer hair this is supposed to add a bit of wave and give that candyfloss hair effect which I love.  It's Tigi BedHead Sugar Shock...  I spray it into the roots and give it a bit of a scrunch and it gives that extra bit of va-va-voom and texture to my hair.


Finally, I always like to 'set' my hair, just like Granny used to ;) For day to day I avoid a heavy hairspray and the best one I've found for a light fix is Trevor Sorbie Beautifull Moisturise Hairspray.  It smells lush and is so light but gives enough hold to keep your hair in shape and in place all day.  I have just run out of this which is disappointing and explains the stock photo.  I will need to restock soon as I seriously love this hairspray.


That sounds like a heap of products lumped on my hair and I guess it is but I do try and rest my hair as much as I can and usually all of these products combined is reserved for nights out or a particularly dressy day.  

What products do you swear by?

x

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for reminding me I have the Macadamia Oil at home and have yet to try. Just finishing off some Morrocan Oil first.

    Really desperate to try some Sugar Shock now too - love the name!

    Great post and i'm now following you on Bloglovin'

    The doll on fashion

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great mousse to try is the Tresemme Volume & Lift Extra Body Mousse. I found out about it on shopaholic Jo's blog and bought it last month. I think I'll try out that hairspray. Your hair always looks lovely:)

    ReplyDelete