Friday 1 January 2010

A dress for all occasions

The festive season is pretty much Party Time! Most years, I have bought new dresses for each night out I have or at least wouldn't be seen dead in the same outfit at different parties!

This year, I decided it was time to be sensible. I bought 1 dress. That's all.

To be honest, I didn't know if it would work. In the end, I sort of set this as a personal challenge to myself. I can be so fussy when it comes to dressing for a night out/party, I truly thought that I wouldn't manage to be happy with 1 dress for multiple parties. But I did manage it. :) *smug*

The dress I finally decided on was the French Connection Wizard dress. Not the infamous strapless version but instead this has 3/4 length sleeves. It's plain black so my thinking was that it could be dressed up or down depending on the occasion and with clever accessorising I could make it look different each time I wore it. It cost £85 which I think is quite steep so I really wanted to get my wear out of it and that I did!

I wore it throughout Christmas and even for NYE! Go me! Here are 3 looks I created wearing the dress for my work Christmas party, Christmas day and New Years Eve.

Christmas Party



I went for a black and gold look for the Christmas Party with uber tanned legs and these gorgeous little shoe boots from Topshop. I kept it a little bit rock chic with Mac Baby Goth Girl on my nails and a little gold clutch.

Christmas Day



I kept it simple but quirky for Christmas Day. I teamed the dress with love heart print tights and shoe boots from Carvela that complimented the tights perfectly. Make up was kept simple with glossy lips and China Glaze lavender lingo on my nails tied in well with the shoes and tights!

New Years Eve

New Years Eve
New Years Eve by saskiathesalsafairy featuring


New Years Eve was spent at a street party with some bar hopping in between so as much as I wanted to look glam, I also had to be warm and wrapped up for the sub zero conditions I faced. Thick tights and shoe boots were the order of the day teamed with a leopard print fur jacket and a gold headband for a retro feel. Make up was smokey eyes teamed with a glossy nude lip!

I love this dress and I am so glad I managed to create so many looks with it over the party season! It also looks great with chunky chained necklaces, a waist belt, slouch boots and also great with a sequinned jacket - not all at the same time though! So many looks can be achieved with this dress and I am even considering introducing it into my work wardrobe at some point!

Doing this saved me so much money, if I can keep making sensible style choices like this in 2010 I should hopefully have a more streamlined and stylish wardrobe as well as a healthier bank balance :D

x



10 comments:

  1. I love that dress :)

    I think its great that you can make so many different looks from one dress, I seriously need to look at my wardrobe that way!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it and have bought very similar a few weeks ago. It's a classic shape and can be worn in so many ways as you've shown with your Polyvore sets. Nice one ..and you've gone into 2010 with more money in your wallet! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. @TalluluhBella I am so pleased I bought it! If I can keep going like this I should find it much easier to find something to wear everyday rather than raking through all the crap i buy! :) xx

    @VexInTheCity It's all about the classics I say ;)! They can be so easily teamed with 'on trend' accessories therefore less money wasteage! yay! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love them all! Where is the watch from?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The dress is lovely, and i really like the 3rd look :)
    Happy New Year, xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous dress! I adore French Connection. I started trying to wear more from my wardrobe last year and hope to concentrate on using accessories to make outfits look new in 2010. Your polyvore sets are brilliant. I really admire your style. You should post some more OOTD... they'd be really inspiring.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely dress ad I love the three outfits especially the NYE one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @stylephile I actually dont know where that watch is from, I just picked one from polyvore that was kinda similar to mine - mine is a gold swatch watch and probably not as nice as the one in the set! xx

    @Marie Thanks! Happy new Year xx

    @Loveaudrey Thank you soooo much that is a huge compliment! I will definitely try and do more OOTD although i am really terrible at capturing good shots! xx

    @Becky Thanks! i think NYE one is probably my fave too xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I've been eyeing up a swatch for a while now, you may have tipped me over the edge, even if it isn't exactly the same!xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. @stylephile here is the one i bought - i blogged about it a while back http://saskiathesalsafairy.blogspot.com/2009/09/swatch.html
    xx

    ReplyDelete