Sunday 3 January 2010

Nailing it!

For the past few months I have been addicted to acrylic nails. I have very small hands, therefore, small nails, not only that, they are weak and prone to breaking. My solution was to have acrylics applied, making them appear longer, healthier and glossier!

In reality, acrylics were killing my nails underneath. I have had a few shaky moments at the nail salon too - once where they made my finger bleed using a drill file! But it was the last visit that put me off for good. This is what they left me with ...
Disgusting aren't they? I really have a good mind to report the salon. On this occassion the nail technician (if you can call her that) actually drill filed my natural nail twice! I don't really think using a drill on natural nails is appropriate or safe but in my stupidity I didn't ask her to stop!

I tried to salvage the nails once I was home, filing them down and painting them with Mac Baby Goth Girl. I ended up with this ...
Still not pretty are they? The shape is awful and she has clearly applied acrylic nails that are too big for my teensy fingers! :(

I had so much going on over Christmas and New Year, I didn't attempt to remove them or go to another salon to have them fixed. I was also a bit scared given my natural nail had been filed down so many times .. they were feeling rather sensitive.

Anyway, a few days ago they started to lift on their own accord so i was able to remove them all one by one. I decided it was time to look after my own nails and concentrate on keeping them healthy.

I bought Sally Hansens Diamond Strength Nail Hardener and I apply 2 coats of it before polish. Already my nails are feeling and looking a lot better. Although, my nails are still in a recovery period and probably have a long way to go, I'm sure you will agree that they already look a lot better. Oh, and finally I have come to terms with the fact that my nails are tiny because my hands are tiny and anything otherwise just looks ridiculous on me!
I still need to work on the shape but i'm getting there ;) In case you are interested the nail colour I am wearing in this photo is China Glaze Lavender Lingo, which has been getting me lots of compliments!

As well as physically looking after my nails, there are many foods that contribute to the health of your nails which will tie in with my goal of a healthy 2010! Foods like asparagus, tuna, apples, garlic, grapes, salmon, eggs, brown rice, cucumbers and anything containing calcium and zinc help with healthy nail growth :)

Hopefully, I can keep you posted on the progress of my nails by posting NOTD posts with healthy natural nails!

Anyone got any other tips for keeping healthy tallons?

x

17 comments:

  1. That's shocking! I am trying to look after my nails this year, by look after I mean stop biting lol. Your natural nails look much better. Were they painful or anything once that acrylics were off? x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info hun, exact same thing happened to me apart from she didn't even have a drill she managaged to kill my nails with a file and her own bare hands!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Lollipop They weren't painful once the acrylics were off thankfully although i was quite shocked. I thought they would be very sensitive since the nail was so much thinner than before! xx

    @Sarah Eeek!! oooh its giving me shivers to think about that! Poor us! Lesson learned, :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goodness - I can't believe the nails they put on! Your natural nails look so much better - This has put me off ever getting acrylics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is a hand cream from Burt Bees, the almond one, in a glass jar.
    Was a huge surprise to me, I was aplying probably 10 times a day, but the thing is, I needed stop to use it because my nails were so, but soooo strong that was hard to deal with that.
    I know sounds strange, but is the true. Now they are fine, strong and healthy, but I'm sure that cream is amazing, just use less then 10 times, lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Gabriela I will keep a look out for that - it sounds like what i need! I will use it a little less though ha ha, thanks xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember at uni once going to a nail bar where they used electric drill files - luckily I legged it before one of the 'technicians' got to work on me as it reminded me of going to the dentist!

    As far as recommendations go, I swear by Nail Envy and Solar Oil.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh I love that colour! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I learnt this lesson the hard way too! I've stuck to natural nails for the last couple of years and they're much stronger and healthier now. Spend the money you save from not having acrylics on lovely hand creams and the odd manicure and they'll be perfect before you know it! That colour is beautiful btw! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I still can't believe what she did to your poor poor nails. I think your natural nails are lovely, and as you say, a nice fit for your petite hands.

    ReplyDelete
  11. your poor nails - they looked ghastly! I hope your nails grow back well!

    My nails are really brittle and I have found that only filing & shaping the very tips and not filing the sides of the nails at all as made them much much stronger. The more square the shape, the less structural 'weak' points of the nail. You only have to keep them so square until they have grown a little stronger and then you can re-shape as you wish. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Duri Rejuvacote (available from Amazon/Ebay) is absolutely fantastic - my friend recommended it because my nails kept breaking and it really works, I haven't had any chips or breaks for over a month and my nails are much stronger. It's a bit pricey but well worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Nicole Thanks for the tip, i've been following your advice and think its helping :) xx

    @Anonymous Thanks for that, will have a look for it xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am sporting gel nails right now, would never touch acrylics, but this gel hardens like acrylic so the nail is rock hard but follows your natural shape/size as it's "painted" on. The reason I got them was to save having a manicure while on holiday as the colour lasts for three weeks - I'm coming up to the fourth week and there's no sign of any chips! I had to file them down as they were getting too long (which took ages). Will probably stick to getting the gel refilled for the foreseeable future as they are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't had false nails but things I used to treat my weak and flaking nails are Lemony Flutter every night, almond oil as a soak and massage every week and I am trying a range of products from Mavala which a friend has tried and says works amazingly! Good luck, but I think your natural nails are beautiful and suit your elegant hands!

    ReplyDelete
  16. @OxfordJasmine, aaww thank you but you wouldnt say that if you seen my chipalata fingers in the flesh ha ha! THanks for the recommendations, i must try those xx

    ReplyDelete