Sunday 31 January 2010

Lipstick Queen

I have always walked past the Lipstick Queen display at Space NK, showing little regard for it. As a brand, I had always thought it was a bit gimmicky and over-priced so simply ignored it. However, when I noticed these little sets were on sale for £11 I thought it was a good time to try it out!



This is the Five Minutes of Fame Pop Art Lipgloss collection, in particular the 'Berries' collection, I do believe there is also a 'Nudes' collection. The Berries collection contains 5 mini lipglosses with combined brush applicator.




From left to right; shades 2(watermelon pink), 5(pale peach), 11(vibrant purple), 14(gorgeous grape) and 15(sexy wine).

The Positive: The colour selection is lovely, although the pale peach is almost invisible on the lip. The rest of the colours are lovely and vibrant without being too sheer for a gloss but also not so intense. As a gloss it isn't too sticky although my hair would still be attached to my lips if it was a windy day so it's not completely void of stick. The formulation is quite thick which for me is a good thing, i like to feel my lipgloss on my lips.

The Negative: I hate the brush applicator. The consistency of the product is quite thick so I find the brush on applicator creates streaks so you don't get a clean, polished finish. I also always manage to go outside my lip line and make a mess of my face with this brush - this never happens to me!

I also find the product really drying on my lips and after about 20 minutes or so the gloss seems to have disappeared so I do feel the need to keep re-applying. After trying these glosses out my lips became chapped and very dehydrated so I have had to avoid using them too often.

So was I right when I initially dismissed this brand? I think I probably was. I still find it gimmicky and for the quality of product you receive, it is definitely overpriced. I will continue to walk on by the Lipstick Queen displays and I won't be in a hurry to repurchase.

Keep in mind, this is my own opinion and experience with this brand.

x

4 comments:

  1. I bought this set too, and I have yet to try it - I love their big bang glosses, and the lipsticks... Maybe these are the duff items in the range! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. @mizzworthy it might just be me that they dont seem to suit ingredient wise, just seem so drying but yeah you could be right, maybe i shouldn't dismiss the full range so soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also hate those stupid twist-up-applicators-with-brushes, so I passed on these and got Medieval and Butterfly Ball Goodbye. I'm pretty impressed with the lipsticks -- not at all drying on me, very smooth and colourful. I'd definitely recommend you try the sheerer lipsticks. :3

    ReplyDelete