Sunday 17 October 2010

Famous Dave

I started using Famous Dave's Gold Edition Tanning Mousse a few months ago now and I have been dying to write up my review since then but I'm only getting round to it now.

I had high hopes for Famous Dave and I wasn't disappointed. My preferred fake tan is a mousse (other than Sunbrushed) so I knew I would have no problems with application etc, but this actually proved better in all respects than I had imagined.

APPLICATION: Famous Dave has a great colour guide. It's just dark enough to see everywhere you have applied but not ridiculously so and not green tinged like other tans. This means you could probably get away with a sneaky application and still leave the house if you had to. As I normally do I apply with a tanning mit which I find is the best way to apply mousse tan. Now, the best thing about application is that this tan dries almost instantl but doesn't dry so quick that you don't have time to work into the skin. There is no damp feeling, literally seconds after smoothing onto the skin it feels dry and looks smooth.

SMELL: It just smells like fake tan. That's all I can say really. There is no gimmicky perfume/vanilla/marzipan fragrance that later turns to soggy biscuits but I like that about Famous Dave. It just smells of tan, deal with it.

RESULTS: I applied at night and showered off the next morning. The results were lovely, an even, smooth coverage with no streaking or patchiness. The colour was very natural but there was an evident change in shade which is what we are looking for. The colour was more golden and sunkissed and gave the appearance of a sunny glow to the skin which was lovely.

LONGEVITY: The colour lasted around 4 days or so befor it started to fade. This is where I get to my only sticking point with Famous Dave. When it starts to fade, unless you are vigilant with exfoliation and moisturising, it can go a little bit on the patchy side. This is easily rectified though with a little scrub over the problem areas.

I bought the 200ml bottle of Famous Dave Gold Edition Mousse for £23.95 which I think is pretty good value considering Xen Tan charge £21.95 for 118ml. I found the 200ml lasted me about a month and I got at least 2 full body applications a week with that.

In summary, I think this tan is fantastic and I will continue to repurchase. I love the kooky and unassuming name and I love the results. It definitely sits up there in my Top 5 Tanning products.

Anyone else in love with Famous Dave?

x

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this...I am THE whitest girl in the world so am a tan addict. I haven't tried this one before, so its good to have your thoughts on it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i did like it, but have recently gone off it, I find it doesnt last long enough and hate washing away so much colour in the shower. Also find its a nightmare on my hands and as a seasoned tanning professional i found this odd.

    The best one by far for me is siennasol, and i have tried literally every tan including sunbrushed on the market.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @steph I will need to try siennasol, haven't tried that one yet. Have been through A LOT of tans through the years, like yourself i am a serial tanner ... i have never had staining however as I wear gloves. i have yet to find a tan that does not stain if applied with bare hands. xx

    ReplyDelete