Friday 1 October 2010

The beginnings of a winter wardrobe

I hibernate in the winter. As soon as it gets too wet and windy I hide under a blanket watching DVD's and eating enough chocolate to keep the fat stores at a sufficient level to keep me cosy.

This year I've decided to change that and what better way to motivate myself than make sure I have the suitable attire to be snug and stylish in one go.

In the last fortnight I have started my winter wardrobe shopping and thought the best place to start was with a decent coat ... once I ticked that off the list I ended up accidentally buying some bargain jackets and before I knew it my winter wardrobe was getting out of control already. So be it.



My biggest buy so far is my new winter coat. It's the 'cute 40's coat' from Karen Millen. I have it in black but above it is pictured in Camel. Camel is very 'in' this winter but I find it to be quite a draining colour on me despite how chic I think it looks, therefore I went with the black.

This coat is a gorgeous angora wool mix and is so soft and cosy. I love the oversized buttons and detail around the collar where it almost looks like a bow. It feels lovely and luxurious and will probably be reserved for days when I want to make an impression as it looks smart, grown up and polished.

My best bargain so far is the H&M aviator jacket at only £24.99. Aviator jackets are a big trend this winter and being a trend as such, I really didn't want to spend a lot of money on one nor did I want to miss out on recreating a Top Gun/Kelly McGillies moment. H&M's version looks much like the topshop version but at a fraction of the cost! Winner.

I also picked up a gorgeous fur Gharani Strok jacket from TK Maxx that will be perfect for glamming up cold nights out on the town and Christmas parties :) I think I will go seventies glam with leggings, sparkly eyeshadow, red lips, high heeled boots and a bandeau head band ... fit for Studio 54!

Despite these purchases I still want more. I need to replace my All Saints jacket and ladies, it looks like Lana is winning so thank you for all the comments on that! I do also like the Cape trend which keeps coming back every few years, maybe I should invest in a classic cape this year that will keep me going for the next decade.

Of course, winter wouldn't be winter without military styles making an appearance, luckily I still have some military style pieces leftover from last year so the credit card can sleep soundly tonight!

What are your winter coat musts and lusts?

x

6 comments:

  1. I will buy a military jacket. I saw at Zara and H&M:) I bought Chanel Khaki Vert:) which I love. I bought some cardigans:) And camel colored stuff:)
    Happy with the purchases:) I'm also after a big black bag which I can carry all my stuff with but chic at the same time:)
    http://pelininstyleenglish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been unnaturally warm here still, so I've been avoiding the thought of a winter coat! It's inevitable I'll need one, but I just can't face the thought of cold weather yet :) I love that coat, the neck is lovely! I would have chosen black as well. your comment about "eating enough chocolate to keep the fat stores at a sufficient level to keep me cosy" made me laugh out loud! That is me in a nutshell!

    ReplyDelete
  3. eep, loving the Studio 54 vibe, I'd like a cute little faux fur number too - sadly I took to calling this my 'hooker jacket' a little too loudly when i tried it on in toppers today - oooh the looks! heh, oops. I should probably leave this anon. eh? ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hands up for winter wardrobes! As much as I adore sunny and hot weather and the summer time, I must admit that I am most excited about the kind of clothing of the autumn and the winter seasons! There are many more ocassions to dress up now!
    XOXO
    Catanya

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the things you picked, I'll definitely have to find me a good coat :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i absolutely adore that aviator jacket! hopping over to h&m now to see if they have one in stock for me! x

    ReplyDelete