Monday 5 December 2011

Bambootastic ... Panda-Mania!

I hope it hasn't gone without notice that 2 adorable, black and white fluffy bears have arrived in Scotland from China this week to make their new home at Edinburgh Zoo.

Tian Tian and Yang Guang are giant pandas and are the first to live in the UK for 17 years.  The hopes are for them to mate and produce lots of fur ball babies during their stay here.

They arrived in their own private personalised jet!

Edinburgh Zoo is a childhood favourite of mine, I remember many trips through to watch the penguin parade so hopefully the arrival of the pandas will be just as exciting for a new generation of visitors.

To contribute to the upkeep of the Pandas at the Zoo and raise awareness about conservation, eco fashion brand Rapanui have teamed up with the Zoo to make t-shirts to be sold to visitors as a panda memento.  The white t-shirts with black and white panda motif are available for men and women.

Rapanui have built quite a reputation after winning the RSPCA Innovation for Fashion award so it's quite the collaboration of the animal/fashion kingdom.  The t-sirts made from Bamboo are edible (if you are a Panda) and is being hailed as the fabric of the future.

Mart Drake- Knight, co-founder and designer explains:  "Bamboo is an amazing fabric, it is as soft as silk but half the price, it grows fast without water, pesticides or fertilisers.  Bamboo has a lot of potential as a sustainable textile, not to mention the softness and kind-to-skin properties that make them feel great"





The t-shirts retail at £24.95 and are available to buy at the Rapanui website or at the Edinburgh Zoo gift shop.   I think they are super cute! 

Who is planning to visit the Pandas?  What do you think of their arrival in the UK?

x

5 comments:

  1. My husband is Chinese (and also a designer himself http://www.yan-to.com) and our youngest daughter is panda mad. She has collected around 100 panda soft toys over the years.
    We will be going up to Edinburgh from the midlands to see the Pandas over the Christmas holidays - I can't wait.
    Thanks for the heads up on the t-shirts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this on the news. I think its so cute that they got Fedex'd in! Hope they are very happy in their new home! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was totally going to bunk off college to get the train down and see them but then I decided that I'm far too good to do that and I'll just go some other time haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw those tees are ridiculously cute, I love pandas, I felt all warm and fuzzy when I saw this on the news!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are amazing- I cannot wait to go see the Pandas :) Was lovely to run intoyou on sat hun, you looked blimming gorgeous! xxx

    ReplyDelete