Sunday 18 December 2011

Fone Jacker

There's something I am not quite comfortable with seeing fashion bloggers pose for photos in next to nothing in front of a backdrop of snow covered fields, mountains, park, delete as applicable.

Of course, they always look gorgeous and there are always style tips to be inspired by but realistically, it's not possible to spend a day out in the blistering cold and ice rinked pavements in a pair of hotpants, stilettos, vest top etc etc, you get what i'm saying, right?

I sometimes think it puts too much pressure on others to live up to this 'stylish' ideal which I would normally reserve for magazine editorials.  In my mind, blogs represent reality and what 'normal/real' people with average incomes  (i.e, not celebrity) showcase their own style, ideas and inspiration.  Recently, I've noticed the crossover to 'blog editorial' with unrealistic images of girls prancing around in the snow with bare arms/legs.  Wouldn't it be of more value to readers to present how to stay stylish and stay warm in winter?

Despite my thoughts on this,  I must stress, it still captures my attention and most of the time looks pretty cute even if I do pray the subject doesn't come down with a bout of pneumonia.

With this in mind, I thought I would show you what I wore today, on a lazy cold Sunday, to go out for the day.  Unless I am on a night out, or have the car with me, I tend to be sure I keep cosy and have a wardrobe choc full of coats, jackets and lashings of fur (faux) for all occasions.

Hat: H&M
Parka: Primark
Sweater: Warehouse
Aviators: Berlin
Two things I should mention about this outfit.  The £5 wooly hat from H&M, it's so cosy and has that perfect slouch fit and of course a furry bobble on top.  Next is the Primark Parka ... what a find.  I had been looking for a parka for winter and every one I found was expensive and 'not all that' ... I had almost decided on a fairly expensive one when I stumbled upon this in Primark (after being nudged along by a work colleague).  The quality, colour, shape and sizing was so similar to it's more expensive competition that I decided to save my pennies and opt for the Primark version - it literally was a steal at around £20-30.  Down below I wore skinny jeans and my brown bear paw boots - cosy at it's best. Obviously I stuck the aviators on last minute in attempt to look a little bit cool ... it resulted in me looking like a female Fone Jacker but i kinda like that ;)

Face: Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturiser
Cheeks:  NARS Laguna and Orgasm
Eyes: 17 Wild Metallic Eyes in Wild Nude, MAC Blacktrack liner
Lips:  MAC Vegas Volt mixed with Angel, Clinique fireberry gloss
As for make up I stuck with an easy Sunday routine of tinted moisturiser which does give a much softer look for daytime.  Another product I love for ease of use and a natural effect is the 17 Wild Metallic creme shadow in Wild Nude.  This was recommended to me by Amanda and I have to say they are a lovely consistency and create a nice natural sheen to the eyes.  They also work great as a base but beware they do crease.
17 Wild Metallic Eyes in Wild Nude

So, in essence what I am trying to say is staying warm in winter IS stylish! How do you keep warm and stylish in winter?

x


12 comments:

  1. Yeah, i agree. You definitely look stylish and I love the make up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uhoh, I think I'm one of those ones you're talking about! Problem is, when you're featuring outfits 3 days (or more for others) a week then you'd end up showing the same jacket over and over. So because the light is poor inside I quickly shoot outside without the jacket. Does get cold though.
    P.S. You look great AND WARM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @thankfifi oh please don't take offence, i do think the photos look ace on everyones blogs and i always pick up tips but i totally see your point about wearing same jacket. Maybe i just need my eyes opened up a bit rather than assuming it was a bid to look good regardless of temperature outside xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't agree more in regards to practicality with the no coat thing BUT I do love the ridiculousness of those types of blogs pics because they're not the norm.
    I guess we can enjoy it because we know realistically they don't ACTUALLY wear those litas with little hotpants in Scotland all day ;) but the danger is (in my mind) younger impressionable girls that think they DO wear all that AND that they buy it all themselves. By the way lookin' hot doll and very slim! I need that hat. STAT! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought your parka was from Topshop! Can't believe it's Primark, it looks so cosy x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great winter look! Love the parka and hat, bargains! Totally agree, wish bloggers would keep it real! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've definitely been having similar thoughts recently too! You always see what fashion bloggers wear under a jacket but you never see the actual jacket. And even with a jacket I'm sure some of them would feeze!

    And you still look absolutely gorgeous!

    Morag x
    moadore.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. How is it possible for you to look totally cute and utterly glamorous at the same time? It's very confusing to me!

    I totally agree with you about the crazy backdrop thing. US bloggers are the worst for this, I find. There's one where she plans day trips simply for outfit locations, it's nuts! x

    ReplyDelete