Wednesday 7 December 2011

Interior Inspiration: Chesterfield Sofa

I am set to move house this month and words can't tell you just how excited I am!

We have been looking for a house, an actual house with upstairs, downstairs, garden, garage, the whole shebang for quite a long time!  At last we have found the perfect place to go in and make our mark on.  I am mostly looking forward to the extra space as my husband and I have built up quite a collection of 'things' over the years.  

I could post photos here of potential dressing room layouts, boudoir ideas or shoe storage but instead I want to show you something I really am dying to get my hands on and is not purely for selfish purposes (make-up room, anyone?).  In my head I have the house decorated but I know things may change once I move in and 'feel' and 'live' my space.  One thing is for sure, I want a new sofa. 

Our current couch is a huge L-shaped Designers Guild comfort zone which I have adored over the past few years but I am not sure it will fit with my new lounge with it's huge bay windows and fireplace.  The house dates back to the 1920's/30's and althought there is a big crossover with design in that era to now, I still want to keep some subtle traditional touches.

That's where the Chesterfield comes in.  Traditional, classic, iconic and masculine.  The Chesterfield is a masculine piece of furniture that is versatile enough to suit a traditional setting as well as a feminine or modern, contemporary decor.   

One of my favourite rooms - I imagine my lounge similar to this

The perfect juxtaposition, traditional chesterfield with modern Tom Dixon light



Another favourite room - love the chandelier


It's known as a gentleman's chair but you can see from these stylish homes that it is a perfect choice in a mixed household.  Incredibly hardwearing, the Chesterfield is a couch with class and status.

If only I could fast forward time and have the keys to my house now!  

I have yet to decide on colour, material or size for my new chesterfield and no doubt will need some complementary chairs.  So many ideas milling about in my head, it will be great to put them all into action shortly.  I will be posting more of my inspiration ideas and hopefully be able to show you some before and after pics of the new house once we get started on it. 

Roll on moving day! :) 

What is your favourite style of sofa?

x

4 comments:

  1. I love Chesterfield's, good choice! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love them! and i especially love the velvet one in the first pic! it looks different! :D

    http://munchmecat.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! We are moving to Scotland next month and I too can't wait for the keys to our new home! :-) I would love a mink, gold or grey coloured velvet chesterfield but with comfy padded seat cusions. Any idea of Scottish stockists? Or will I have to get an import do you think? Thanks ps good luck with your move...
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  4. The living room in the third picture is what I like best. However, I think the pillow with the face looks creepy.

    ReplyDelete