Friday 30 December 2011

Morocco Styling

As per my last post, I mentioned I would offer up some advice on what to wear in Morocco.  This is mainly for us gals but there is a wee bit for the boys too.   This will also feature some unflattering photos of me all glowing (read: sweaty) on holiday too! Be warned.

Before going to Morocco I found that different websites and even twitter friends had very contradicting opinions on what was acceptable to wear and what was not in Morocco.   My advice is more based on what you are going to feel more comfortable in rather than strictly what is acceptable.

Morocco is an Islamic (mainly) nation but despite this is known for being more liberal than other Islamic countries.  However there is still an element of respect that needs to be shown for the culture and faith despite the somewhat relaxed attitudes.    I have been to Egypt which again frowns upon too much flesh being shown but on a beach resort like Sharm-El-Sheikh you can get away with anything so this was the first time I really had to think about what was going in my suitcase.
Playsuit with cover up tied round my waist

black maxi with cover up and flip flops


In the old town of Marrakech it is more traditional, you see both Moroccan men and women in traditional dress but equally many are dressed a little more western but covered up (especially females) or what could maybe be described as casual.  If you wear hot pants, mini skirts, bikini tops, string vests etc in the old town, people will look at you.  Some in disgust, others in disbelief, never in a good way, even other tourists.  If you are comfortable with the stares then go ahead, knock yourself out.

In the new town, it's more of a free for all.  Especially at night time, short skirts, hot pants, boob tubes ... anything goes.  It was never a problem and no one stared other than other Moroccan women who are probably interested to see international fashions.  The new town is where people party so it's very open minded.

There is a whole list of things that are apparently shunned upon clothes wise.  Showing too much leg, showing too much foot, showing too much shoulder or showing too much collar bone.  The list is endless and it's not realistic to stick fully to the 'rules'.

So smart things to pack to keep you right...  It's very hot in Morocco so try to keep covered up or have the option to cover up without passing out with heat stroke.  I packed maxi dresses and jumpsuits in light materials with flip flops, sandals and cover ups in the form of scarves and sheer tops.  Heels are hard to wear in Morocco unless it's night time, even then, cobbled and uneven ground made it too much of a hassle for me.

Jumpsuit covering shoulders as well as legs
By wearing a normal summer maxi dress with a pashmina or scarf, it meant I could have my shoulders out when I wanted but had that option to cover up if I was in a built up area where it was frowned upon.  T-shirts, long shorts, knee length skirts and playsuits would all be fine to wear.  Even at night in the old town a strapless top would be okay as long a you could cover up if you felt uncomfortable at any point.

strapless dress suitable for the beach in Essaouira

But i could cover up at night 

For men, longer shorts with t-shirts seem to be more acceptable for daytime.  So no Joey Essex hot pants and vest for your boyfriends/husbands/dads!!   Night time is easy for boys there is nothing that would be frowned upon.

Going back, I would pack a couple of glitzier things for night time in the new town but sticking to a similar wardrobe to what I packed for the old town.  My trip also took in the beach resort of Essaouira where I wouldn't recommend showing too much skin apart from on the beach.  In fact wearing the exact outfit below (without cover up) I was spat on by a group of men.  Clearly too much shoulder/arm on display was offensive.

Despite being spat on in Essaouira it was also an amazing place to visit and may even deserve its own blogpost.  But lets stop here before this turns into a very amateur attempt at a travel blog!

Hope this has been helpful for anyone packing for a trip to Morocco.

x

7 comments:

  1. I really really want to go to Morocco but tbh I'd never thought of having to cover up there, I don't know why? I can't believe someone spat on you for your outfit....not so sure I want to go now :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love love love your jumpsuit. can't beleive you got spat on!eep. i'm fine with the whole covering up but can't imagine my tattoos would go down well.....xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. spat on? argh! Nightmare! I love all your looks here, especially that pic of you in the blue strapless dress - gorgeous!

    When I was in Venice I was hussled out a church for having my shoulders exposed - totally mortifying! You're right, it's defo something to consider if you're going somewhere where religion is key.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your frecklesss!

    http://munchmecat.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also applicable for trips to Dubai :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you been to Tangier ? It is my favorite place in Morocco .

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG - that pic of you on the beach in the strapless dress...you look fantastic! Lurve your freckles :) You look so happy!


    KristyQ

    ReplyDelete