Saturday 18 June 2011

Scottish Fashion Awards 2011: The results are in!

My evening at the Scottish Fashion awards started in a cocktail bar, Browns, to be exact with the gorgeous Morven and Ann, all dolled up and ready to strut our stuff with the best of Scotland's fash pack.

Morven and Ann having a bit of cocktail action

Best cocktail ever!


Unfortunately for us the champagne bar had run dry by the time we arrived at the actual event but a little bit of mingling and scoping our fellow guests was fun in itself.

Dame Shirley Bassey received most adoration of the night in her Graeme Black dress designed with Sir Billi Tartan and a sporran handbag.  Dolly Jones, Hilary Alexander and Paula Reed made up the fashion glossy gliteratti.  Henry Holland, Jonathan Saunders and Holly Fulton were Designers of note on the evening with many of the guests sporting their threads.  David Gandy, Brix Smith-Start and Lulu also added charisma and sparkle to the festivities.  Guests of honour and both equally inspirational in their fields were Hilary Alexander who won a surprise award and the God-like Rankin who was thoroughly down to earth!
Ann and I posing in front of the media board

Before we knew it, the awards ceremony was well underway in the iMax cinema at the Glasgow Science Centre.  

The exciting winners of the evening were Jonathan Saunders who won Designer of the Year, Henry Holland - International Designer of the Year, Hilary Alexander - Fashion Ambassador,  Bebaroque - Accessory designer of the year, Harris Tweed - Textile Designer of the Year, Henrietta Ludgate - Young Designer of the year and the most prestigious of the awards, Rankin winning the Hall of Fame award.

Henry Hollands entourage so to speak brought an infectious party spirit to the awards, whooping in applause at Hollands win!  And, it was heartwarming when Hilary Alexander was surprised with her award as Fashion Ambassador, giving credit to her support of the Scottish Fashion Awards.  It was also endearing to listen to Rankin confess to his nerves on the evening and how proud he was to be picking up an award.

The evening progressed on to a wonderful 3 course dinner, interesting chat and lots of bubbly.  I was fortunate enough to be at a table full of characters from the world of fashion retail, journalism and tv.  I met the lovely Mark Hayes, GMTV stylist, who was so down to earth and kept us amused with stories of how he is often mistaken for Jason Gardner of Dancing on Ice fame.

Mark Hayes and moi

Morven chatting to Jonathan and Daniel of Garcons de Glasgow

Brix, Morven and myself
(grey blob is not hiding a nip, it's an error i couldn't be bothered to fix!)

After dinner we were treated to a wonderful catwalk show by Swarovski.  Sparkling models sashayed down the purple glitter catwalk in the most wonderful creations covered in bling.  I love my sparkle and I  lusted after every piece that pounded the floor before me.
Jonathan Saunders

Dolly Jones and Jonathan Saunders

Highlight of my night was getting to meet the amazing Jonathan Saunders who I mentioned in a prior post, I knew a long time ago in passing.  It was lovely to reacquaint myself with him and congratulate him on his award.

It was a long but fabulous evening full of glamour and sparkle.  It's fair to say I peaked far too early and by the time the after party got in full swing, I was probably tucked up in bed with a half eaten tunnocks caramel wafer from my goody bag, by my side.

You just can't buy class!

x

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, what a glam night. My Hbby was readingthis with me - he went to a party in London on Thursday night and said that Brix was there wearing the same dress as she has on in the pic you've posted...shock horror! x

    ReplyDelete