Monday 27 July 2009

I carried a watermelon?!!

Just for a change I thought I would show you some quick snaps of a mini crafty project I did for my friends hen night.

A few weeks ago I attended my friend Lisa's hen night! It was a Dirty Dancing themed affair so there was lots of 'Nobody puts 'Lisa' in a corner!' comments and swishing around the dancefloor to Hungry Eyes!! Her little sisters even copied the final dance and danced it to perfection!

Anyway, I was helping with arranging favours for the evening and I came up with this ...
I would love to say I made these on my own but I didn't - I paid someone else to! How gorgeous are they? They even had edible sparkle on them! Most Dirty Dancing fans will understand the watermelon reference from the famous line in the movie.

On to the part that I did do myself. Nothing over the top, I simply presented them in clear boxes with ribbon and tags that I hand wrote with the name of the bride and date of the hen night. I loved doing this, I am quite into my arts and crafts but I never have enough time to devote to it but working on things like this really motivates me.

These photos do not do them justice but this was the finished product:
I am happy to say the bride and hens loved their favours! As well as the cakes I had also made up bags of watermelon sweeties with ribbons and tags attached, however I don't want to bombard you with photos of sweets and cake!!

Needless to say, they tasted wonderful!! :)

x

16 comments:

  1. they are such a clever idea! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow this is gorgeous!! send me down any spares!!!also your OOTD with the denim jacket and kaftan= lush`! gotta find me that necklace xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow they are amazing and who knew you were such a crafty, nigella type goddess!! You should consider setting up a little business doing wedding favours or even hand made invitations/cards. It could be a nice little earner for goodies like shoes, bags, makeup...

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG wow!! A dirty dancing theme is such a great idea! Totally appreciated by me since its me favourite film! xXx

    ReplyDelete
  5. unfortunately the watermelon reference is lost on me....i have never seen this film! but they look amazing....what are the little watermelon slices made of?xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Becky thanks ... thankfully everyone at the do were big enough fans to understand the watermelon ;) xx

    @Natalia - its from topshop in the sale just now - tenner or less .. go get one!! go! go! xx

    @Av well id love to take credit for the cakes themselves but its a wonderful girl i know who made them, in fact she made my tiffany cupcakes for my own hen night! I made my own wedding stationery so maybe i should think about a wee sideline .. xx

    @hazeleyes It was great on the night, the soundtrack was played numerous times through the night ha ha xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Hele the watermelon slice is made from icing .. tasted delicious! Ah you need to watch it .. i was 18 before i watched it and as cheesy as it is - it really is great!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are fantastic. I'm planning my sisters hen night and something like those would be perfect. Where did you get the clear boxes? x

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look absolutely gorgeous!!! well done :) X

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Kerry1487 I got them from a website ... i will get the address and send to you - it was pretty good value xx

    @bubblegarm thanks :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. that's a lovely idea. so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So cute what a clever idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh you have made me smile so much - this is brilliant!!!!! I'm starring this in my reader so that I don't forget it..I'd love to do something like this!

    ReplyDelete