Monday 12 July 2010

Face of the day: Blue Dahlia

A few posts ago I showed you Estee Lauders new Autumn palette, Blue Dahlia and mentioned I would try and do a FOTD.

And I have.

It was a quick FOTD and I didn't go overly dramatic as I had to face the public in broad daylight with it. I dare say for a night out I would go a little bit heavier and smokier but we will save that for another day.

Cue the head tilt 'staring into the distance' pose ...My personal preference for a dark smokey eye would be to use navy and this palette teams navy with teal and mink perfectly to create something that is soft and more alluring than your typical blue powdered eyes.

Let me be clear however, the navy in this palette is probably not everyones version of navy and even for myself I have encountered darker, richer shades of the hue. However, in this palette it works perfectly with it's partners.

I deliberately used every colour in the palette to ensure it could be done. So here goes:

The teal shade was used all over the lid,
Navy was applied in the crease and outer v and blended, I also brought it underneath the eye lightly,
Black was added to the outer v for extra definition (this black is perfect for this, much better than my usual go to, Mac Carbon)
The mink I blended just above the crease and underneath the lower lashline
Finally I used the sparkling white lightly over the lids to add a little bit of sparkle and used a tiny amount on the browbone (you can barely see it in the photographs)
I also lined the eyes with Mac fluidline in blacktrack and applied a Barry M navy liner in the waterline however this didn't really show up.
A lot of people worry about clashing blue, teal, navy eyeshadows with blue eyes but I think it gives blue eyes a more sultry appeal rather than the usual bright and bushy tailed blue eye.

As for the rest of my face:
Foundation: Estee Lauder Double Wear
Bronzer: Nars Laguna
Blush: Illamasqua Unrequited
Mascara: Clarins


A special mention has to go out to my lip colour - I am wearing a lipstick by Revlon called cappuccino. It is a frosted pale nude that doesn't make my lips disappear completely and looks lovely with a tan. Perfect for that smokey eye/nude lip look that everyone loves.

I teamed this with one of Estee Lauders new pure colour glosses in Twilight Petal which is absolutely lush.

And that is my Blue Dahlia Face of the Day.

x

10 comments:

  1. I teamed with the same gloss - love that palette so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this is absolutely stunning, you look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty :) I wish I was brave to wear colour on my lids. I have that Revlon lipstick too but as I am so pale, it looked bleugh on me, have to try it again when I have a tan! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look absolutely stunning sweets, I find myself wanting all the products you use! I am especially lemming Estee Lauder products at the moment...god I hope I get some money for my birthday, lol! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look absolutely gorgeous :) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow this is just gorgeous! The blue teamed with your gorgeous locks just looks fab! Love it

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really really love blues on you!! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are stunning!! Ah soo much jealousy! Blues with your eyes and hair is lovely too xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous, I absolutely love your hair colour too! xx

    ReplyDelete