Sunday 24 May 2009

Review: Barry M 3 in 1 Intense Black Mascara

Anyone who knows me will tell you I am super fussy when it comes to mascara. I have the lightest eyelashes that really need darkened, lengthened and volumised which usually involves lashings and lashings of mascara.

Good mascaras for me are Chanel Exceptionnele, Lancome Hypnose and the infamous L'oreal Voluminous. I have a drawer full of the stuff but I rarely use outwith these.

In the last month I have tried out Rimmel Sexy Curves, Rimmel Glam Eyes and Maybelline Lash Stilleto. I found them all so rubbish that I couldn't even be bothered to review them on my blog. Usually I would but since I am so pernickety over mascara I just felt my opinion wouldn't always be a fair one. So, having ruled out cheap mascaras in my life, I was surprised as anyone to have fallen for this hidden little gem!

At Barry M on Wednesday, we all received Barry M's Intensive Black 3 in 1 mascara. This retails at £5.95. Sad to say but I was immediately sceptical due to the price tag - bad experiences in the past with cheap mascaras have clouded my thinking. However, I was creating a look for my niece and used this on her lashes - I couldn't believe the effect it gave so next day I set about trying it for myself.

This is called the 3 in 1 mascara as it claims to Volumise - Lengthen - Curl. The consistency of this mascara is not quite as thick as others I use so again I thought it would be no good for me but once on the lashes it really did everything it claimed to on the packaging! It lengthened, it curled and it volumised! I usually apply up to 5 layers of mascara or more but I found after only a couple my eyelashes looked in tip top shape. However, me being me kept on applying ... now this is the bit i love, no matter how much i applied it didn't seem to clump or make my lashes appear brittle or caked. I have never used a mascara that has kept the lashes looking clean and fresh after so many applications of it. Hopefully these photos will give you an idea of how it looks, sorry I do not know how to crop photos to only show my eyes and close ups only come out blurry.
Due to the price tag as you would expect the packaging looks fairly cheap, silver plastic with pink flashes where Barry M's name is printed. The mascara wand is slightly stubby and the bristles, although quite stubby and short - there are lots of them which i really think makes the difference.
The longevity of the mascara is amazing too, I applied at roughly noon on Saturday and here it is at midnight after sitting in the dark watching a movie and rubbing my eyes from time to time. I did not reapply the mascara at all during the day, I didn't feel the need to, which again is rare for me! This is a mobile photo so is blurry but I'm sure you get the idea.
It feels so light on the lashes, so much so, at one point I had to check in the mirror as I thought in a moment of madness I had forgotten to apply mascara!! I thoroughly recommend this mascara to anyone and think it will be great for anyone who isn't used to wearing it or who doesn't like anything that feels too heavy on the eye. This is going to be a a definite re-purchase for me and will be a product I will be sure to keep stocked up in my mascara drawer.

Hats off to Barry M - I'm sorry I ever doubted you.

22 comments:

  1. I've been dumbstruck by this too- I would never have bought this just going on my preconception that barry M is a colour brand not a staple products brand. This has been such a good make-up find! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm the same, really light eyelashes and so fussy about mascara, i have about 15 in my drawer that i have only used a few times because i am usually disappointed. chanel exceptionel is my fave too, think i might have to give barry a go now! thanks for review.x

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Hele def give it a go, i so hope u like it seeing as u sounds as fussy as me! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi, just a tip on your close up pics. on your camera there is a setting called macro, its the flower symbol, set your camera to this when taking close ups of small items or things such as your eyes and it should focus no problem. Im defo gona be buying this, my eyelashes are non existant, i just bought lilash tho so fingers crossed! great blogg btw! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Piprikia thanks so much for the time, will def try this next time! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh your lashes look lovely! Will have to get this mascara when it's time for my next mascara purchase :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. No problem, glad to help! And thANx for following and your comment, your my first comment-er!
    XX

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooh your eyes look beautiful, i'll be giving the mascara a go, like you i tend to think of Barry M as more of a bright funky colour brand. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow... that looks so good. wonder if i can find this in california?...

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks amazing, cant wait to try mine out!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Savvy Mode SG Barry M ship outside the UK, you should check their website and check they ship to California xx
    http://www.barrym.com/info/customer-services.asp?id=1#delivery

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can i ask you a question, your blogg is so pretty and mines boring and black how did you get it to look like this esp the butterfly image at the top, i need to spice mine up saskia style! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Piprikia aaw thanks i only did this the other day in fact, there are some really nice looking blogs out there mine is blah in comparison.
    I made my blog title on polyvore then @Hele managed to save it in picture format for me and send it back so that i could attach to my blog. I was too stupid to figure out how to save on my own! lol xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would also recommend you try Max Foctor's 2000 Calorie Hydrifuge mascara. I love that stuff with just 1 coat (and I like to pile it on, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow.
    I think I just might have to get some.
    Thank you so much for reviewing it!

    Robin
    http://threadbearthoughts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG looks amazing on you! I'm also very fussy about my mascara but have found true love with MaxFactor False Lash Effect! Will def try the Barry M one out too!! :) thanks for the tip!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you, I will have to try that! Keep you the good work, love your blogg! x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Now i have to try it!! You are now guilty of making me go buy more make-up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow! I too am very prejudiced about cheap mascaras and my faves are the same as yours with L'ancome always coming no.1! I was going to give this away without even opening, but will be sure to give it a go now! Thanks so much for the review xxx
    p.s. I LOVE your hair colour.. woud you mind telling me what you use for it? thanks hun!

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Natalya - i know i will never be a make up snob again!! I have got my whole family going out to buy it ha ha!

    My hair is naturally a dark auburn but years of dying has dulled it down so I get a colour called Saffron Mahogany put on it, I think its a l'oreal richesse colour. It can be quite harsh when first on but after a few washes i love the colour xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete