Friday 22 May 2009

Review: Barry M Natural Dazzle

I know this review has been done quite a bit already by other bloggers but thought I would let you know my experience with it.

This has been described by others as a dupe for Nars Laguna. It isn't. The only similarities are the packaging and that it is a bronzing product. Here is Barry M on the left and Nars Laguna on the right - colours are very different.

I have also noticed the Natural Dazzle being described as a warm colour - I disagree with this. It has a lot of red and blue-ish undertones which to me is cool - I don't really suit cool colours. It is almost a plum-like colour compared with typical bronzing products.
The compact itself; look how dirty mine is, a sign it has been well used already ;)
I've probably mentioned before, I am naturally very pale. When I first started using this compact I was pale and wearing no fake tan so this is how the experiment began. On my pale skin, as a bronzer it looked dreadful, I did not look bronzed at all - more red, dirty and very bad at applying make up! Then I tried as a contour which I could see would work but on my pale skin it still looked dirty. I really had to buff and blend it for a while to make it work for my whiter than white skin.

However, this didn't put me off. A week later and I was faux tanned for my trip to Italy I decided to try again and the results were far different as you can see... (sorry not trying to be camwhore but want to try and show the definition it can give)
Again, I did not use it as a full bronzer as i really believe the colour is no good for that so I used it as a contour and the results were great. It really adds some definition to the face and helps to accentuate the cheekbone area. I used in conjunction with a dusting of my Laguna and blush and loved the results. I have now been using everyday so was super happy that we were given another one of these at the Barry M event! Although at £9.50 I wouldn't have begrudged paying that if I had to!

I will have to make sure I am tanned to wear this product and will avoid when pale. I hope at some point Barry M expand this range and include other shades more suitable for pale skin types.

Hope this was helpful, let me what you think of it too xx

21 comments:

  1. It looks really nice on your skin, girl!

    It's not a dupe? Oh, ... I tought it was :( A more affordable one tho..

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Tamara its just a more affordable bronzer, nothing like Laguna x

    ReplyDelete
  3. i found the colour really natural looking. i know what you mean about it being slightly red though. i love your floral top that you're wearing, looks so cute from what i can see!xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Hele Yeah it is a natural colour on the skin but i am uber uber pale without tan on but its great when i do have it on.

    Thanks - Its a wee summer dress im wearing, think i got in topshop last year xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're not a camwhore! You have a gorgeous face so why not show it off! :) I agree with you, a tan is necessary to wear this and not look dirty! It is a great bronzer though, you're right they need to make more!! xoxo Anna

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're so stunning. Your eyes are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm, perhaps this won't suit my pale self then. Haven't got round to trying it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks really nice on your tanned skin; I have also found that while I am pale as a ghost, bronzers don't look quite natural, but with a hint of self-tanner, the difference is huge! Very nice last photo, the navy dress really suits you! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow your skin is just gorgeous, so flawless, faux tanned or not!!!! You have got the most beautiful blue eyes! So glad you found a way to use this :) Alot of my makeup I can only wear when I am fake tanned to!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey :) I am quite new to Blogging and love your blog!
    Please check out mine
    gracelovesfashion.blogspot.com

    Best wishes

    Grace x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wish we had BarryM in Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  12. great review! I too wish we had Barry M in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Sirvinya I would still give this a go .. bear in mind i am almost see through i am so pale whereas you have more of an english rose pale complexion so it may still work well x

    @Sarah aw thank you but my skin is def not flawless - i wish! ha - my skin has good weeks and bad weeks just now its on a bad week! spots galore! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. You wear it well! I would have never guessed you had trouble with it! :)
    But I know what you mean, I just can't make mine work....I 'm close to saying I hate it...
    It's too red for an overall bronzer colour, almost what I 'd be if I was sunburnt...
    And as a contour it just sits on my face, whereas Laguna "sculpts" if I make sense...
    Any tips on how to make it work..? Would gladly hear them! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. @tina_mbc the only way it really works for me is with some self tanner on my face first of all ....other than that i would just recommend to use a light hand with it xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree with you that it makes a good contour not a full bronzer!.. Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooo that looks really pretty on you! And I agree with your skin looking flawless btw, can I ask what foundation you were wearing here? It gives a really lovely finish x

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Lisa ooh now I think the first pics with the flowery top on, I was wearing Mac Studio Fix Fluid in NC30 ... but i tend to think this makes me a yellow-ish colour. In the second photo with the navy dress, I'm pretty sure that is MUFE HD Foundation in shade 125 xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your make up looks great expecially in the 3rd pic. What makeup have you used on your eyes and lips? Do you have blush on as well as the bronzer? x

    ReplyDelete