Thursday 23 April 2009

Illmasqua has arrived .....

.... yup, this wonderful brand is now practically on my doorstep!

I was lucky enough today to be asked by Joanna at Illamasqua to join them for the launch of the brand in Glasgow. I was over the moon to be asked and even managed to get away from my work a little bit earlier to go in and have a nosey!

When i got there I noticed the Illamasqua counter straight away, it stands out from any other brand on the shop floor. Its in another league completely which is really refreshing after so many years of make up brands basically looking like clones of one another but with a different name attached. I've got to admit I was actually a bit nervous on arrival, I think it was the excitement of it all but when I met Joanna she was just so lovely and friendly, she really was a joy to speak to. I had a browse through a lot of the products which are all stunning and daring in their own ways. Joanna then introduced me to Alex Box, Head of Illamasqua's Art Team ... that was intimidating. Here I was in the presence of a world famous make up artist, with a portfolio that includes Stella McCartney, McQ, Gareth Pugh and work featured in Vogue, i-D and Dazed and Confused to name just a few ..... I was honoured.

Alex is an amazing looking woman with such an individual and creative style ... I was a mesmerised by her. I got chatting to Alex and got quite a bit of advice regarding colours and she also showed me the products from the new Spring/Summer collection.

The Spring/Summer collection, Sirens, is fantastic. Here are some of the collection images:I can't remember every product but there are quite a few that I will definitely be buying as soon as they arrive in-store. First thing I am after from this collection is the coral coloured nailpolish called Lament which just looks like the perfect shade of coral that we have all been talking about and looking for!! I am also uber excited about 2 cream based products in the collection called Liquid Metal. I am not sure if they are classed as a shadow, a blush or highlight but basically they do everything, they can even be used on your body. One is a golden colour called Solstice, the other more bronzy called Enrapture. They will look fabulous with a tan. I tried the Solstice on the back of my hand, and it literally looks likeliquid gold melting on your skin, similar to the effect of gold leaf. Alex actually put this on as a liner just above my fluidline and it looked amazing, really opened up my eye added some life to my otherwise neutral make up today. This really is a fabulous collection.

Alex also took me over to play with the pure pigments. I told her about my warm/cool colours dilemna and she told me that I should have no problem wearing both warm and cool colours. In keeping with Illamasqua's philosophy, Alex really believes there should be no rules to make up and it is a form of expression. Here Here! So, in light of this Alex used a cool coloured pigment on my eyes, Chasm. Here are some photos of it. Its applied over the gold liner but it still gives a pretty good effect. Remember, Alex did not do a full make up, so the rest of it may not look quite so good.
Alex also suggested I play up my cheeks .... don't need to tell me twice, buying new blush is always a joy! I had a look at the blushes and have got my eye on a few already.

I also tried some Rich Foundation on the back of my hand. This is quite a thick consistency yet still light on the skin. It will definitely cover any blemishes and/or freckles. Just before I left, Joanna was kind enough to give me a little goodie bag.Wow!! WOW!! In here is a nail polish, mascara, medium pencil, lipstick and eyeshadow. I will go into full detail on these after the weekend as tomorrow I am going back to purchase Nymph blush and some Rich Foundation ... and possibly a few other things, so i can give you all an overview of the products at the sametime. Why i didn't just buy it today, I will never know?!

It really is refreshing to see a brand do something that is a bit different and encouraging others to think outside the box and be creative with their image. Maybe its just the novelty just now but I can see this being the start of a beautiful love affair between Illamasqua and myself!

Before I go, I will leave you with a photo of the polish. Its called Baptiste, and its the most wonderful shade of purple. I want to show you this because this is the polish with just one coat on!!! This is a winner for me. MAC polishes are watery bottles of wasted money compared to this! We will see how long it lasts without chipping before I make my final judgement but so far I'm thinking Illamasqua could by my new favourite for polish!
So a big Thank You to the girls at Illamasqua today, especially Joanna and Alex. Thank you so much!

Has anyone else fallen for Illamasqua yet?
x

11 comments:

  1. i went to my counter in london and me and my sis both said straight away how refreshing it is and it kicks ass lol. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. WoW! Looks like a great event! That nail varnish is gorgeous and your make up looks stuning! Lovely cheekbones xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Sounds like a very fun event! Your make up looks gorgeous and I love the colour of that polish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know I LOVE this range! How amazing please? I am so jealous you met Alex Box - you lucky lucky lady!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Mizzworthy I know I couldn't believe i got to meet Alex. I was actually feeling that shy way around her because she is just sooo good! had to snap out of it though but now that I am at home I am thinking of a million more things I should have asked her!! ANNOYING! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow i love that nailpolish colour!! great!
    love your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you are so lucky!! That brand looks really interesting. I wish they were available here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you had a fab time, and a goody bag too, lucky you! Love the nail polish

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm delighted for you, that sounds like a real experience. The polish looks amazing with just one coat! Launches in NI next week. can't wait xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey! It was lovey to meet you today, I'm so glad you came back in :)

    Isn't Alex just the nicest person in the world? I came into work yesterday on my day off just to meet her and I really didn't know what to expect. She was so lovely!

    I hope you are pleased with what you bought today. Looking forward to reading your future blogs.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. That nail varnish is a really pretty colour. Ive heard of the brand on a few other peoples blogs and it looks fab, i especially like the gold she used as a liner on you very pretty x

    ReplyDelete