Sunday 12 April 2009

Styling advice please!

As I have mentioned before, I have 3 weddings coming up in the next month. I have been looking everywhere for something nice to wear but nothing is catching my eye. I am also trying to cutback on spending so something cheap and cheerful was on the agenda.

So, last week I was in Karen Millen and noticed this dress on sale. I loved this dress for the style and shape ... it reminds me of the style of dress Sophia Loren would have worn. It has a very tropical, colourful and busy print. To tone down the look I decided to stick to the main colour Blue for my accessories. I am not usually into being matchy matchy with my outfits but as the print is so busy I wasn't sure where else to go with it.

I love colour and not afraid to wear it but in the form of this print, I am worried it could be a little garish?

Here it is pictured with blue suede peeptoe shoes from Zara and a little blue clutch, also from Zara.

(With and with and without flash- apologies for wrinkled duvet .. I really should learn to iron!)
I plan on keeping the make up fairly glamorous but neutral with winged liner and glossy lips. May even try with bright red lips but I really am worried about looking like a reject from Carnival Season in Rio!!

Any opinions appreciated ... yay or nay? Too much or just right? Or is it too matchy matchy?

x

16 comments:

  1. I really like this outfit. It would be perfect for a wedding, nothing wrong with a bit of colour it is meant to be a happy day after all. I wouldn;t change anything about it, they are all good choices xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is gorgeous, it will go wonderfully with your new hair too :) I've never been to a wedding (yes, I know, shock horror!) so not sure what on earth I'd wear...(I'll have this trauma soon, my friends getting married in July), but I think this is fab :) x x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think all the colours work perfectly, love the shoes :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Kerry1487 Thanks for that! I usually like a more cusomised look but i guess this takes the effort out of it. I think its pattern that scares me rather than too much colour x

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Laura Wow! I can never get over it when i hear people who have never been to weddings ... i have been to on average 3 a year since i was very young! Hence why i love them, I'm sure you will too! xx

    @J Thank you ... the shoes are cute, they have little bows on the front too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hehe, I know...a wedding virgin! I think I went to one when I was very young, but have no memory of it! What do you think suitable attire would be for a July wedding? I love your dress, but I probably wouldn't feel confident enough to wear something like that...I'm not very confident in dressing up :( x x x

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Laura sometimes the Bride gives an indication of what the dress code should be in her invitations, like if its black tie or casual chic etc ... I would go for a nice summery dress either way and some lovely sandals and accessories. If its a church wedding, always make sure you have something to cover your shoulders like a pashmina, you can remove when you leave. I have another 3 weddings come July/August so we can help each other! This is going to be an expensive year for me lol! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Hele Thanks, i'm glad i posted now as i was very unsure of this combo before - glad u all like it xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's really helpful advice, thanks honey :) It is a church wedding yeah, and there is only a few select friends going and then mostly her family, so it won't be a fashion show I'm sure! I have some friends who I know when they get hitched it will be ALL about what people are wearing!! I better start looking to be honest, see what styles I like etc...! x x x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohh this is sooo pretty (as are you!!!!) Not too matchy-matchy at all, just perfect : ) Thanks for the follow! I've done the same!! I've just been reading over a few of your past posts and had a OMG moment. I have recently had the worst breakouts on my face, and I can not figure out what it is, but low and behold I too have been using Benefit Boing concealer of late, so maybe that is what it is, seeing you had the same problem. I am definitley throwing this to the back of my makeup drawer now!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. perfect outfit. the matching shoes and bag looks good with it. :) you sure will stand out, in a godo way. ;) but if i were you i'd keep the make-up on a neutral, simple level. just an advice. (: you'll look extravagant at the wedding <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it might just be a bit too matchy-matchy, but maybe once you wear it it'll all set in place.

    If you want to change it up, go for a golden clutch with maybe gold-accented shoes to tie it in?

    Have fun and the dress looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gold would work too but I don't think it would be quite as striking. This dress needs the courage of conviction. Stick with the blue, its rich, sumptious, fun and sexy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think the makeup you got today will be perfect with this outfit. The dress is beautiful, very summery!

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Sian aw thanks, im nervous about wearing this kind of dress, I feel its a bit more contrived looking than what i normally go for.... tried the make up tonight and love it, blush and glss are gorgeous, love all of it!

    ReplyDelete