Tuesday 27 April 2010

Sonia Kashuk Beauty Blending Sponge

For a long time people have raved about beauty blenders but in all honesty I never took any interest, to me it was just a glorified make up sponge. When I noticed the Sonia Kashuk version for only £5 in Space NK i thought what the heck? I'll try anything once.

The sponge came with no instructions for use other than what the sales assistant advised. She promised it would give me a flawless finish to my foundation with no streaking and that it should be used damp to stipple your foundation on.

So I set about trying this out ... first up I wet the sponge and rinsed out any excess. I expected the sponge to double in size doing this but it didn't, it remained as was. The sponge itself is quite easy to grip due to it's ergonomic shape and even has a pointed, slimmer tip to get into areas around the eyes and nose. Thumbs up!

When it came to stippling the foundation on, I deposited some foundation on to the back of my hand as normal, dabbed the sponge onto this and set about dabbing/stippling onto my face, every now and then using rocking motions to ensure fully blended. Once my foundation was applied, admittedly my skin looked good and there were no streaks that needed further buffing, however I had just used double the amount of foundation I normally do.

When it came to cleaning the sponge, it didn't seem to matter what I used on it, it never returned to it's natural clean state.

In Summary...

THE PRO's:

The ergonomic shape of the sponge is great for gripping it and getting into the nooks and crannies in your face i.e, the nose and eye areas.

By stippling the foundation over your face, it does create a soft and flawless finish with no streaking.

THE CON's:

I used double the amount of foundation I normally use with the sponge.

It was time consuming - I am much quicker at wacking on the foundation with a brush or my hands and then quickly buffing over any streaks.

It seems near impossible to clean the sponge.

The Result:

Would I repurchase? It wouldn't be top of my list but if I came across it in a bargain bin then yes. I do use the sponge when I have more time to get ready for nights out but for everyday use it takes up too much time.

Whats your verdict? Do I look beauty blended? Or do you think the sponge is just all hype?

6 comments:

  1. i find the best way to use a sponge if i can be arsed, is slap on the foundation with hands then use the sponge quickly over! saves time & foundation with the same results xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer the stippling brush, rather than sponges.. it does a similar job, but still better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You may have used more foundation than normal, but you look gorgeous! hahaha But I guess I'll stick to my brushes and fingers..no need to waste foundation, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you look lovely, I have always wanted to try this sponge method... it's all very mysterious but I don't fancy using double the amount of product. great review... x

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Dye-A-Graham ha thanks! yeah i think i will stick to brushes for now - a lot quicker to apply xx

    @Muhsine Thanks! I know it's the product loss I hate but you should definitely give it a go - you might like it and you might find a better method to it that does save on foundation xx

    ReplyDelete