Wednesday 2 February 2011

Chanel Rouge Noir Dupe?

My favourite nail colour ever is the cult Chanel polish, Rouge Noir.  I have been wearing it since I was around 15 and for me it beats any other Chanel shade that has ever been released since.  As a teenager I had a poster on the inside of my wardrobe simply of a rouge noir adorned hand cupping a white rose - that's how much I obsessed over this polish.

To be honest I am not a fan of the consistency or quality of Chanel polish.  I find it chips easily and can be a little on the gloopy side, however I can put up with these insignificant details when it comes to achieving this delectable hue.

I don't like the price of Chanel nail polish so I am always after a cheaper alternative.  Lots of brands have tried to emulate the red based black of rouge noir for many years but none have managed to get that exact shade of dried blood that inspired the cult classic. Either too red or too purple, sometime just too black.

After repeated disappointment I stopped actively seeking out a dupe many moons ago and stayed faithful to my pricey Chanel.  However, a few nights ago I was rooting through my jungle of nail colour when I stumbled across this shade from drugstore brand N.Y.C.  I had completely forgotten I owned this colour ... obviously purchased then somehow lost it in the plethora of colours in my hidey hole. 

N.Y.C in Lincoln Center is pretty much an exact match for rouge noir.  You can see how similar they are sitting side by side in the bottle and even on the nails, to the untrained eye they are the same polish. 

Differences I notice on application is that N.Y.C formulation is thinner and a little runny.  It takes 2 coats to get the opaque gorgeousness of rouge noir but I went the extra mile and put a 3rd coat on.  I have not had even a hint of a chip and best of all, this polish seems to make my nails feel really hard and strong.  Something my nails are definitely not.  It dries super fast hence the name 'Quick Dry Nail Polish' ... promising to dry 'in a New York minute'.

On the other hand Chanel is a lot thicker to the point of gloopiness.  You can get away with one coat but I usually apply 2.  It isn't the quickest drying and also stays tacky for a while after, which i put down to the thick consistency.  As mentioned before, chipping comes thick and fast sometimes after just a few hours.

Chanel bottom, NYC top
 So how does this measure up price wise?

Chanel £17

N.Y.C £2.59

Ah this is a no brainer for me.  Despite being in love with Chanel on a whole even I can't justify the price against with the dissatisfaction of the products performance when I can get the colour I love so much for a fraction of the cost.

Even if rouge noir isn't your thing, I would definitely recommend you try an N.Y.C polish.  I will certainly be investigating the rest of their colour spectrum and at such a bargain price I can afford to pick up a few at the same time :)

x

11 comments:

  1. I think Barry M Red Black is meant to be similar but not seen them side by side, the NYC is a good dupe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Collection 2000 Midnight Rouge, I'll defo be trying the NYC polish! Now where to get it.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you know how Rouge Noir compares to OPI Lincoln Park After Dark?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I love this colour and the cheaper version is the same colour so it's definitely a no brainer! I might just pop off get some xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow have to try this - I find the Chanel version chips so easily and leaves scratchmarks all around my car's door handle (no other polish does this) but I love the colour! Thanks for the heads up :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the comments :) for anyone interested you can buy NYC polish in Superdrug xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I have an NYC one at home but I need that colour, shall be paying Superdrug a visit tomorrow I feel.

    Carol x
    www.mystylisms.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe how similar they look and at such a fraction of the cost! I'll definitely be picking this up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am heading to get me a bottle of this this weekend! Looks brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent dupe! I prefer the NYC dupe in the picture. I'm going to pick this up the next time I'm shopping. I also want the Borghese polish that changes color in different lights, but I cannot remember the name of it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yep, the NYC does look better in the pic. Great tip :)

    ReplyDelete