Monday 14 February 2011

When I grow up ...

... I want to be Julianne Moore.

Last night I watched the BAFTA's and was totally wowed by the gorgeous Julianne Moore in a floorlength blue velvet dress by Tom Ford, who was also her partner for the event.  She teamed the dress with stunning red lips (not unlike my favourite, MAC Lady Danger) and beautifully coiffed hair that harked back to old Hollywood Glamour.
Julianne and her good friend Tom Ford - oh hellooooo! 

As a fellow redhead I have always been fascinated by Julianne Moore.  It's not just red hair we have in common, as well as being half Scottish, Julianne too has pale celtic skin and a multitude of freckles.  Refreshingly, Julianne wears her freckles with pride against her porcelain skin ... something I just cant bring myself to do and so admire her for.

Odd as it may sound, I struggle to feel comfortable with my freckles.  There are so many of them covering my face, body, arms and legs.  I use fake tan as a platform to blend them with my skin.  I guess this struggle comes from the reaction of others over the years.  People do look at me sympathetically because of my 'infliction' or 'blemishes' and the fact my skin won't tan naturally.  It really is quite rude but something I have had to put up with for years and it has kicked my body confidence in many ways.  It is only now as an adult I am starting to accept and sometimes enjoy my peely wally speckled skin.

I love the mix of leopard print and blue in this image
Scenarios I have dealt with for instance, are being laughed at on the beach sunbathing, locals abroad taking photos of me, hysterically laughing and pointing at me or looks of disgust from passers by.  On the other hand there are the countries I have visited where they adore my ghostly tones ... 'White Chocolate' became a favourite nickname in Egypt where they couldn't get enough of my red hair and what is known in Scotland as my ginger skin!  You gotta have a sense of humour about these things ;)

Love the berry lips
Anyway, back to Julianne.  She is so beautiful and at over 50 (i think) she has aged so graceful and stylishly.  As an actress I have seen her in few movies but most notably are Boogie Nights, The Big Lebowski and A Single Man.  Julianne carries herself with such poise and elegance and although appears to be completely comfortable in her skin, she has admitted that growing up she was nicknamed 'Frecklefaced Strawberry' because of her sun kisses ... quite a cute nickname, huh?  She even went on to write a children's book about a little girl who tries to get rid of her freckles.


'I still have mine and I still don't like them, but I have other things to worry about. I care about it less'



Freckled and gorgeous in Boogie Nights

And I guess that's where I'm at now.  I care about it less.


x

11 comments:

  1. love it lady...

    your hair tone, freckles and fellow she-wolf eyes are awesome - you would look equally as stunning au natural as you do all glammed up

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love freckles!! I hated mine when I was younger, but they have seemed to fade a bit the older i have got and now I miss them!! Embrace yours!! You're gorgeous as you are! x

    Julianne Moore is hot tho!! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Loving your appreciation of paleness! I'm exactly the same - fry in the sun, skin so white it's practically see through. I used to slather myself in fake tan every week but I gave up last summer and haven't looked back!! Be proud of those freckles dear, they are what make your beauty unique :)

    On the subject of Julianne she's also a personal favourite of mine - so stunning, especially in her recent Bulgari campaign. Meow!! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my freckles! I can't believe people have been so rude to you... shocking!

    I thought the blue velvet was to die for. I want it. BADLY.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore your colouring, I think it is absolutely stunning! I used to try and cover mine up all the time, but now I am trying to embrace it. Harder in the summer when I seem to consist entirely of them! really want to see a Single man, this post has might just have made me by it this weekend :)

    Bx

    ReplyDelete
  6. My youngest sister has colouring very similar to yours - firey red hair, pale skin and lots and lots of freckles. To me that is so beautiful, but like you, she has really had some stick for it over the years. I don't get why people think its ok to point it out - I mean, you would never go to a black person and say "oh my god, you're skin's so dark" so why any different for a pale and freckly person. I think I'm so boring looking at the side of my sister. She, and you, have something interesting, fairly unusual and just plan stunning about you both.

    Oh, and Juliet's not bad either ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always admired the combination of pale, pale skin and red hair (particularly as someone with dark skin, black hair and almost-black eyes). I'm particularly envious of how incredible some colours look on redheads! And I've never understood the red-baiting thing, as someone said above, it's as unacceptable as someone being told they're too dark-skinned (unfortunately some members of my Asian extended family, who prize fair skin,have said that about me!)

    I adore Julianne Moore too. Have you seen Far From Heaven? It's my favourite film with her in it, and is simply stunning to look at x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love freckles! I can't imagine ever covering up something that pretty. My little sister has a smathering of them on her face and I've always been dead jealous of her. I don't really tan either - but no freckles for me - just a big mess of paleness I'm afraid!

    Tom Ford - total babe.
    C
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw lovely people, lovely comments. You all seem on board with freckles! ya ya ... :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always think freckles are so pretty and I say you should rock them with pride! Who is to say what is and isn't beautiful anyway. I would never laugh at anyone on the beach like you said people did to you. That's just plain rude and ignorant! Don't let their stupid behaviour affect your confidence. The world is made up of so many different types of people and we should all be proud of our individuality. I agree with you on Julianne Moore...she looks amazing for her age and she always looks so damn classy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heart the pale skin! I inherited my red haired mother's skin, hated it at school and now love it! Freckles are so pretty too! People can be sooo rude about it though, been laughed at so many times, and then went to Korea where I was stopped many times because of my white skin, it was wonderful! xx

    ReplyDelete