Monday 5 October 2009

Black Eyebrows!!!

Some of you may have seen me mention on twitter yesterday that I was going to try out black eyebrows ... well, I did it!

Obviously, I am a redhead - my eyebrows are VERY fair so already I pencil them in slightly darker - a mid brown shade. Eyebrows are so important for adding definition to the face and can even change the whole shape or look of your face depending how you groom them.

In the past, I've admired blonde celebrities with dark eyebrows and yes, I know to some this is a major faux pas but there is just something about it I love. I almost find it looks a little dangerous but completely sassy, I love it! With my colouring I didn't dare try it until I was watching Paloma Faith on You Tube and realised that despite her red hair she has black eyebrows - really big black eyebrows!! Ok, so Paloma isn't a natural redhead and she is half Spanish but still, she had planted a seed ......I whipped out the black eyeliner and a little Mac Carbon and groomed my eyebrows from the above to the below:
And Voila!
It's a shame the photo does not quite show up how dark I made my eyebrows but so far I quite like it. I feel it adds a whole new dimension to my features - regardless of the eyebrows being dark and out of place with my red hair, I almost feel more feminine with them!! I have been walking around for the past 2 evenings with black brows and my husband still hasn't noticed so I can't really tell if this is a good sign or not.

Here are some other gorgeous celebrities I took inspiration from when contrasting lighter hair with darker brows:
So, honest opinions please, what do you think of my new brows? Do you think I could get away with this outdoors? Does it actually look good or is it plain ridiculous?

I'll let you be the judge :)

*special thanks to Caroline who helped me with my images - i'm still learning but i'm getting there ... slowly ;) x

x

23 comments:

  1. oooooh really LOVE your black eyebrows! to be honest im not a fan of black brows when someone has bleach blonde hair, it looks odd to me! but these look really fab and suit u, i may try it too ;) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, love it - feel inspired to make mine darker to see why it looks like now!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Perfectly Polished Ah thanks - i was scared of the reactions i was gonna get so thanks he he xx

    @Emma - (Magpie Sparkles) You should definitely try it out i think it would look wicked on you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you first mentioned it I was like, oh no don't! But actually it looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use MAC Spiked, it's a dark brown with zero redness, I think it would look really good on you, would give the same intensity without looking quite as obvious as black xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think it looks fantastic! subtle but enough to make a difference, you definitely suit it :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! I think you pull it off really well! I always make my eyebrows darker as I feel it makes the whole face look more polished and sculpted. Definitely time for outdoor trials hun!

    love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes yes special thanks to me I am ruler of all!!! hehehe. I love it!! I think it really suits you.
    Its weird, I have (dyed) red hair, and I make my eyebrows red. Yet when I do them brown, I feel they look more defined and my face looks more 'sculpted' as it were, yet I feel they look odd against my bright red hair! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW this looks seriously gorgeous! I love it! You look so glam!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it looks hot! Your eyes look amazing aswell. What mascara do you use? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it looks OK in the photo but I think outside it would look really weird. I've seen people outside with black/filled-in brows before and it's SO obvious, and to be honest it looks a bit crap.

    I think something less dramatic than black would work for you, maybe a darker brown if you could pull it off without making it obvious in daylight. But I think black is too far. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. i completely agree - i've always liked darker brows with lighter hair and don't think it looks odd at all, even if some people might say it's a no-no! i get my lashes and brows tinted every month...your eyebrows look great :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You can sooo pull this look off...looks fab chick! I love your make-up in this photo..what products did you use??

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think it looks great to be honest! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. When you posted on twitte - I was like "NOOOO!!" haha, but it really does look great. To me it looks like that's their natural colour... Doesn't look too dark at all, IMO :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think they look great!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh yes (in Churchill voice)... very sophisticated lady ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think the dark eye brows look good on you because your hair is a darker shade of red. I am also a redhead but very light, more like a strawberry-blonde and I think dark eye brows wouldn't look as good on me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for all the comments! Glad that most seem to like the new brows - I am going to practise them to perfection and maybe have a look for spiked as per @Dressjunkie's rec before i venture outdoors with them :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the look! The darker browns really suit you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. i love the dark browed look. i recently started getting mine tinted and it makes me feel (as a blonde) that i can get away with much darker, powerful eye makeup and that the dark power brows frame my face better! you really suit the contrast of the red hair/dark brow!

    ReplyDelete
  22. late reply, new follower, but love it i share your problem i love dark eyebrows but im a redhead it looks wrong on me but ur pulling it of well.. x

    ReplyDelete