Sunday 27 June 2010

How to: Leopard Print Nails

I can't stop looking at my nails!

I have always been of the opinion that nail art is a little bit tacky and always thought my nails were too small to try anything exciting anyway, but this morning I gave it a go. I am delighted with the results and long gone is any judgement of tacky. Or at least, it's the kind of tacky that I like!

Last night I painted my nails blue then today, on a whim, decided to add some leopard print to them. Here is how I did it:

I used the following:
From L-R; Sally Hansen Diamond Strength base coat; M&S nail colour in azure blue; Illamasqua Boosh; Barry M nail paint in bright pink; Nail bar top coat; a kebab stick (yes, you heard me right!)

1) I started by applying my base coat and painting my nails blue with M&S Azure Blue (this was from my Scottish Fashion Awards goody bag)
2) Once the blue had dried fully, I added blobs/spots of Barry M's bright pink. I wasn't too neat about this at all just 'blobbing' the nail paint randomly on my nail.
3) Again, I waited until the blobs were fully dry then I got my kebab stick to add the definition around the blobs. Now, a kebab stick probably isn't the easiest or best tool to use but it worked for me as it had a pointed end that I could dip in and out of the nail polish. I could have used a brush but I don't think it would have achieved the same precision.

I used Illamasqua Boosh which was a gift from the lovely Mizzworthy. It is my favourite black!

I applied the black around the pink blobs. I did this in a broken, disjointed manner. If it looks too neat you don't achieve the leopard print appearance. I also added a couple of random black blobs for affect.
4) Finally, once dried I added a topcoat then repeated on my right hand - which is waaaay harder if you are right handed like me.

And here is the finished result! What d'ya think?
The whole process really wasn't as time consuming as I thought it would be, maybe about 30-40 minutes. It really depends on your polish and how quickly it dries.
Now I know how easy it can be, I can't wait to try out some other patterns and colours on my nails.

What do you think of nail art?

x

13 comments:

  1. This looks great and you've made it sound so easy. Will have to try it out x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really isn't as hard as it looks. You should definitely give it a try, i love how it looks on my nails x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this, like you said it is a bit tacky but it's 'good tacky', you make it sound/ look easy too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome, you've inspired me to try it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love leopard print nail designs! Yours look great x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks fab - I'm going to build up to giving it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow,i never knew nail art was so easy to do.Fantastic :D and the finished result looked superb :D.Ox




    StopAndStareStyle

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all the comments, glad you all like them too! Definitely give it a go, it really is very easy. I am already thinking up different colour combo's and designs :D xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow it looks amazing! I might try this out for my holidays (well the first part anyway!) and rope Mr Louboulush in for the left hand :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant, i can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How did I miss this post almost a year ago? ;) I looove the color combo you used, and it looks professionally done. Maybe I could give it a try now..although I am a serious nail painting novice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love this, theres another one with different olours on here too its lovely
    http://ellieyocandy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete