Sunday 6 June 2010

The Braidy Bunch - How to ...

One thing that has been rocking my world this weekend is the french braid.

Braids or plaits, whatever you like to call them, have been all over the catwalk and sported by celebrities from Lauren Conrad to Drew Barrymore and Jennifer Anniston. This trend has really been around since last year but I am only just putting it into practise now.

My hair is at that really awkward inbetween stage as I am waiting (im)patiently for it to grow into a mass of long luscious locks. I am pretty much over the quiff look and bobby pins just don't seem to keep my hair in place so a couple of days ago I attempted to french braid my fringe.

It's changed my life. Seriously.

No more pushing my hair away from my face or trying to pin it back with bobby pins. I braid it then forget it about it. It stays put all day and looks great!

This was my first go at it so was surprised how easy and quick I found it. So if you are looking for a quick and stylish hair fix, here is how I did it:

1. I divided my hairs fringe section and tied the rest back in a bobble. You can make the fringe section as big or small as you like, I went for quite a thick section as I have a heavy side fringe.

2. I then divided the fringe section into 3 small sections at the top in order to start the braiding. Each time I pulled one section of the braid over another, I picked up another small section from the sides of the fringe as I went. I continued this until I reached just above & behind my ear. This is what makes the braid a french braid and ensures it sits against your scalp. Once I had finished I secured it to my head with a bobby pin.

3. I then released the rest of my hair from my bobble and left it tousled around the braid for a relaxed, summer feel. This would look equally as good with straightened hair or tied back in a ponytail.

4. I sprayed with hairspray to make sure it stayed put all day. And it did.

Wearing my hair like this has made life so much easier. I just don't have to think about my hair as it's neatly tucked inside the braid. Perfect for exercising too ... not that I do much, ahem! ;)

Next, i want to master the fishtail plait .... but that looks hard and I'm not quite sure my hair is long enough yet. Anyone else know how to do it?

x

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting it, I love French braids, but can never quite master them! A Fishtail plait is actually very easy, but I guess a bit time-consuming. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. girl, I am so impressed you did this on your first go - it looks fab! :) x

    girlinthecityglasgow

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks lovely! My sister did this the other day and i decided i need to jump on the bandwagon and give it a go. Search up a tutorial on youtube of how to do a fishtail braid.. you'll be surprised how simple it is considering how intricate it looks :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. i can never figure out the fishtail one myself, i look at others doing it so easily hahahah! Loving the french braid, i must have a wee go myself! With the windy weather half the time in Scotland.. I give up having a side fringe (and a cowlick) !! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://www.wikihow.com/Fishtail-Braid

    follow the link above - really easy but quite time consuming! good luck, can't wait to see the results!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all your comments, it is the easiest hairstyle to do ...I am all fingers and thumbs usually but if i can do it anyone can!

    @Nicole thanks for the fishtail how to - will take a look :)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this look!

    But styling hair is my downfall, i'll have to get practicing again.

    It's a cute summer look too! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete